Can I jack up just the engine about 3 inches and not the whole car

in a 1998 Grand Prix without harming anything? I need to get the pulley puller into the power steering pulley but there isnt enough space, 3 inches higher and I can get it into place and be done with this stupid water pump replacement. One bolt is behind the p/s pulley.

Reply to
cjssp

Why don't you just use a box end wrench for the bolt? I have never heard of anyone pulling the pulley off. I think it would be easier to remove the pump rather than pull the pulley.

And no, you can't likely raise the engine 3" without disconnecting the mounts.

Mike

Mike Romain

You don't have to pull the pulley off! There are holes in the pulley that you can access the bolts thru. There should only be two bolts holding the pump to the block...undo them and the water pump bolt will be uncovered.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Did you happen to notice a couple of holes in the pulley? Might have to turn the pulley to align the hole with the bolt and be done with that stupid w/p - you might need a deep (if you can get it in there) socket ie gives the bolt somewhere to go as your removing bolt!

Reply to
Daryl Bryant