Can read ODB, but failed emission because of ODB

This is a Chrysler Town and Country 2008, 3.8L, 103 thousand miles. I just replace the engine 5 months ago.

I am able to use an ODB scanner to read the code and it says 7 emission tests are ready or something to that extend. When I bring it to a inspection station, they say they can't read the emission from the ODB interface. I said I just did it before driving there. They said this is not a scanner, but it's an emission computer. The guy also said maybe the cigarette plugs fail and he uses a light tool to test it. It wasn't on when the car is running. I take it home, use a volt meter and measure it. It's 14VDC. Which is a bit high. Is it unusual for this voltage? Apparently he didn't test the cigarette plugs correctly. What should I do? Bring it to a dealer? Could some car shop be able to diagnose and fix this type of problem? I don't have a good experience with this dealer, and the next Chrysler dealer is 45 minutes away.

Please help.

Reply to
vdu

What you read on the code scanner and what they need to test for are entirely different things. They only plug into the OBD port to make sure that the computer is working and that you didn't just clear a code and bring it in. They then use a probe to measure the exhaust gases and determine if it passes. Now if your in an area like I am in upstate NY they only do a low enhanced test. Basically they plug into the OBD port and make sure that all the tests were run, if they have and they passed then they do a safety inspection and if you pass that they put on a sticker. No exhaust measuring.

Basically you need to know why it failed.

Reply to
Steve W.

You're right. I brought it to a mechanic and spoke to an inspector. He said that the two read the same information, however, the hand operated scanner supplies its own power, while the inspection station's machine does not. So there is a lack of power for my data link connector. Is anyone familiar with this model know where I should look at?

Reply to
vdu

You're putting 10K a month on it? wow...

Did it pass emissions check when the new engine was installed? Myabe something didn't get hooked back up properly. Could be as simple as a blown fuse.

Here's the spec for the connector. Should have +battery on pin 16, ground on 4. 14V with engine running is not necessarily high, "13.8" is nominal.

Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

If it's a 2008 car, it's less than a year old, you'd have to be putting ~10,000 miles a month on it to be over 103K, right?

Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

bending the gear..."

:-) very good observation! I made a mistake, and the car actually is

2003, not 2008. If you're a mechanic, you got to be very good. You're probably very good at many things.
Reply to
vdu

I got the problem resolved. It may not be a problem at all. What happened is that I brought it to another place, where they have a different machine, and it was able to read this. The question is that should I go back and get my money from the old place since they weren't able to do the inspection, versus it's my car's problem.

Reply to
vdu