Can't go faster than 40 km / h

Brand : Ford Taurus 91. Problem: Cannot drive faster than 40 km /h. Even giving constant gas doesn't help. It shows 3000 rpm, but the car doesn't get faster. Sometimes the speed drops even at 20 km/ h, and then suddenly the car hesitates and then "jumps"...but it still doesn't go over 40 km/ h I would like to just leave that car somwhere where I can't see it anymore. Do you have an advice for me, please? I can't afford another car right now, and / I need to get this one running /for 2 or 3 months.

Reply to
Richard Blouin

I'm sorry for this news but I strongly suspect the Transmission, since these are well documented to have major design flaws. Be sure if you get a rebuilt, it has the lube fixes and trade the car while it still works after fix if you can. I had a brand new 89 Taurus Wagon, and I changed every 10K with synethetic fluid, and cleaned the pan magnet each time I was so paranoid of that tranny with all the reported problems. Other than the "slip shift" which I hated, it worked as well at 45K when I sold the thing in 2000 as it did when I bought new. We just used for a vacation car. $14.5K new, $5.7K when sold. Should have got the Camry Wagon at the time as the AC leaked down every year even with the Ford Fix "o" rings and NAPA clamps on the QD's ! I have been a growing Toyota fan since 1981.

Reply to
Frank Knight

In Autozone, there is some real sticky red tranny fix fluid in a white quart bottle. Can't recall the brand, but 2 quarts may help with fluid and filter change on a short term basis.

Reply to
Frank Knight

|Brand : Ford Taurus 91. |Problem: Cannot drive faster than 40 km /h. Even giving constant gas |doesn't help. It shows 3000 rpm, but the car doesn't get faster. |Sometimes the speed drops even at 20 km/ h, and then suddenly the car |hesitates and then "jumps"...but it still doesn't go over 40 km/ h |I would like to just leave that car somwhere where I can't see it anymore. |Do you have an advice for me, please? I can't afford another car right |now, and / I need to get this one running /for 2 or 3 months.

Have you changed the fuel filter??

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

yes. The fuel filter has been replaced in a repair shop last November. The old one was very dirty. I must add that since a year I am using regularly gas additives that help clean the fuel system. I also changed the Transmission filter last september. There also I must add that I did that after the car stopped. It was not moving at all, or just few minutes long. I guess it stopped because the transmission fluid was burnt, and certain temperatures were exceeded. I must also mention that a) three weeks ago I had the transmission cooling line fixed in a repair shop. It was heavily leaking, and I had to call a towing service, and b) two weeks ago, I could barely drive faster than 20 km /h. I noticed that I was low in gas. I drove to a gas station and filled some gas, and after that the car drove somehow normally again. is it a hint that maybe inadequate fuel pressure may contribute to the problem. I guess this car is just a big fiasco and has all imaginable mechanical defects, even if it has a lot of new and costly parts.

By just looking at the way they designed the electrical circuit, on can see that it is lacking professionalism for a car made in 1991 in Nord America...The cables under the gate get disconnected each time I open it. Consequence: The rear wiper and the internal lights in the back of the car stop working! Lesson learned: For the same money, I should have bought 6 years ago a

1984 Camry, and I would have saved over 6000 $ in repair costs.

Thank you kindly for your input , anyway.

Reply to
Richard Blouin