Cherokee problem

My Daughter has a 1994 Grand Cherokee that has suddenly started acting up. Here's her description of what its doing:

"Couple times the car would not start normally.  When driving, car accelerated normally to about 45 mph then sputtered until we dropped down to about 30 mph then would kick in again up to about 45 mph and sputtered again.  Car doesn't accelerate normally, generally when going faster, but has happened at lower speeds.  Cannot get it to go past whatever speed it drops to (i.e can't get higher than 30 until it kicks into a normal acceleration).  When sputtering/stalling, sounds like metal churning (happened once today when it stalled).  Also a clicking noise started in engine."

I was thinking that maybe the Crankshaft Position Sensor was going, but I'm not sure about the sounds she's hearing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

F. Robert Falbo did pass the time by typing:

What engine, inline 6 or V8?

At any rate,

Did the CHECK ENGINE light come on?

First, pull the codes and see what is on the ZJ's mind.

Metal churning/ticking.... hmm.... (I'd pull a compression test to make sure it's not internal)

Check the distributor, it can make that sort of noise as the bushing wears out. A sure sign is oil in the base.

I did get a grinding noise once on my ZJ. Only during moderate to heavy acceleration. It was due to the main bearing failing and required the motor be short-blocked. (lower end replaced)

The problem could be lots of different things, start with getting the codes.

Heck, it could even be a clogged fuel filter. That will definitly limit your max speed and cause pinging/bucking. (fuel pressure on the rail should be 32 psi)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill. We may not see eye to eye on a lot of stuff but I guess we both enjoy Jeeps.

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

4.0L I6

She didn't mention it lighting up.

It wasn't helpful... I'd already had her do it and it came back 55. Si I told her to run the code again when it was acting up again. Nothing yet.

We're going for replacing the Crank Position Sensor first, and if that fixes the engine weirdness we'll look into her hearing noises later. :) Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks. It looks like we'll be changing the CPS first, and if the problem reoccurs, the fuel pump circuit.

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I would just be cleaning the CPS plug and socket with a decent electronic contact cleaner then seal it up with some dielectric grease on the seal.

That plug is a trouble spot for sure.

I also would be cleaning the TPS connection on the throttle body, heck any I could get my hands on while I was at it is how I go after that kind of thing. The grease on the seals does the plug contacts wonders.

Mike

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

F. Robert Falbo did pass the time by typing:

Ok.. 55 = end of codes.

That leaves two more areas to consider. Fuel and spark. A failing coil will cause stammering, a plugged fuel filter will limit speed and contaminated fuel will cause all sorts of bucking, especially if she got a tank of water/crud. Neither fuel nor spark problems will set codes in that model year.

Unless the fuel filter has been replaced recently I'd have her do that too. easy job, just need a couple of rags to fend off the fuel drips.

This isn't cheap (about 100-150) but it is very effective in cleaning the fuel rail/injectors/valves/and on back.

Most shops can also do a leak and flow test on the injectors. But try the filter first.

Coils are funky. While there is a resistance range I've found that the resistance can be in spec and the coil still fubar. This little gizmo works well and it's cheap. 10$ or so.

DougW