Car still having problems starting

hi all,

I posted on Oct. 3 about my problems with mechanics and getting a diganosis. I have a 1993 saturn SW2 station wagon. Since then, I spent about $550 for the 4th mechanic to change the spark plugs, spark plug ables, and supposedly clean the gasoline out of the engine because, they said, it had washed the rings, but the rings were still operational. Oh, and overcharge for putting a new tire on.

Now it's already starting to have problems again with starting. It's just like before: it seems to start ok in the morning or at night when it's cooler, but in the daytime, it's harder. Or when the engine is warm, it's harder. I have to press the gas pedal all the way to the floor to get the engine to catch, and sometimes it will just die if I take my foot off the pedal. Once it starts, and I'm backed out of the parking spot and moving forward, it's ok.

mecahnic #1 thought it was something electrical, but not anything fuel related. Pep Boys (#2) was worthless. The saturn dealership (#3) thought it was the spark plugs, the valve cover gasket, the fuel filter, the coolant temperature sensor, and thought it needed a fuel injection cleaning. They also wanted to sell me 4 new tires because I had one flat. Advanced Auto Dynamics (#4) decided it was the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

That worked for about a week, and now it's starting up again. Any ideas about what I could suggest to mechanic #5? When I can go, that is....

To answer Larry Moe & Curly from Oct. 3: _________________________________________________________________ Did you pay all those places to fix or diagnose your problem or to merely take your money? I can understand paying a mechanic a diagnostic fee without getting the car fixed, but if they say they're going to fix it or they replace parts, shouldn't your car come back to you with the problem resolved? I hoped you paid by credit card so you can get your money back easily, and if any of the garages are AAA approved, AAA will arbitrate any dispute, even for non-members. Another thing: in some areas AAA has diagnostic centers, but I think they're only for AAA members.

How can a valve cover be in such bad shape that it actually prevents a car from starting? Wouldn't it have to be losing chunks and letting tons of oil drip out? OTOH if it's just leaking a bit, can't you just keep checking the oil level and wipe off the drips every few days? BTW it doesn't take much oil to create a fairly large puddle -- try pouring a tablespoon of water on the driveway and see how much it spreads.

When Pep Boys said that one of the cylinders had no compression, did they actually measure the compression? Because I heard a local Pep Boys tell a customer who was getting a tune-up that his engine had no compression in one cylinder, but I think it was due to the spark plug not firing, not due to a leaky cylinder. BTW don't take a car to Pep Boys for diagnosis because around here they're terrible at that, and in the case of that customer I mentioned, when he asked the mechanic what the printout from the tune-up computer meant, the mechanic said he didn't know.

Wow, $350 to change a valve cover gasket. At some places you can get a head gasket replaced for that price. ______________________________________________________________

yeah, I had to pay those place just to give me their uninformed and dishonest opinions.

AAA....I dunno...they don;t seem to even be able to get my cards sent to me in the mail, even though I called them twice about it. No, unfortunately did not pay by credit card.

Mechanic #4 said it wasn't the valve cover gasket, that there was some leakage but that is common for Saturns, and just to check it each time I get an oil change.

Wow that is a horrible story about Pep boys, and sounds typical. I will never go back there again.

Here's the original thread:

TIA everyone.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

is there a great quantity of black smoke coming out the tail pipe when it finally starts?

Reply to
boxing

Those garages had the responsibility to either fix the problems or tell you that they couldn't, and I'm really surprised that AAA- approved garages would treat you so badly. If AAA won't send you comment cards (I thought the garages were supposed to have them), write a letter to them and describe how those AAA-approved garages treated you badly and that you want arbitration. For non-AAA garages, file complaints at

and with any state consumer regulators, and sue in small claims court.

I think that you need to take your car to a Saturn or GM dealer, preferrably an AAA-approved one, or to a garage that employs ex-GM dealership mechanics. Maybe a local automotive technical school can tell you who's good.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Were I to just be throwing parts at the problem the first part I would throw at it would be a coolant temp sensor. If that sensor tells the computer the engine is the wrong temperature then it gets the wrong amount of gas at startup.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thanks, good advice, I will go to AAA and the BBB.

I already went to the dealership, and they tried to over-charge me, and sell me tires I didn't need. I was not impressed by that. However now I'm thinking the bit about the coolant temp sensor might have been right.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

I think that's it! The car is going through gasoline like crazy. Very good, I'll go for that one next! My feeling is that's it, that's the right thing.

Thank you.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

I'll have to wait til the weekend to get help with checking it.....

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce

So it would be really nice if I could just do this myself. I just ordered a chilton's manual on amazon, and a new coolant temperature sensor for my car on partsamerica.com.

If not, maybe I can go back to mecahnic #1 and get him to do it, if I can go back telling him he was right after all, which now I can sort of.

But I'd really rather just do it myself it it's simple enough. The part certainly is cheap enough.

Then I will deal with that AAD outfit.

Reply to
kohlrabi_croce