96 mazda protege starting problems?

I replaced the head gasket, spark plugs and wires. The engine turns over, but wont start. The timing is correct. Compression is good. I am getting spark and fuel. The spark however looked weak. So I checked the distributor resistance between the primary and secondary coils. It doesn't met specs. The primary resistance reads 39M ohms and it should be .49 ohms. So i went to a mazda salvage yard today. I checked three of their used distributors and they read close to the same. Am I on a wild goose chase? Any suggestions? I checked the haynes troubleshooting guide. No more avenues. Please help.

Thanks, Marty

Reply to
marty

Are you ending up with fuel wet plugs after trying to start it for some time? Have you tried firing it on some starting fluid, just to rule out a possible injector/regulator malfunction (plus ether will ignite off a weaker spark, if that's an issue). You can seemingly have good fuel pressure at the rail, but if it doesn't meet spec, the injectors won't open....

Also have you verified that your VALVE timing is correct?

Reply to
jeffcoslacker