Car Won't Shut Down ?

Hi,

Have a '95 Sable.

The other night, the car wouldn't shut off. The guy fromm AAA pulled a zillion wires underthe hood, and finally got it to stop.

Apparently some rod from the ignition key assembly going down the steering tube was broken.

My question, mainly out of curiosity, as I doubt it will ever happen again (hopefully), now that it's repaired is:

What is the "best", most expedient way, to shut off a car's running, if turning the key doesn't do it ?

e.g., what wires, where, etc. to disconnect, or... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Joseph A. Zupko

I'd say pulling the fuse for the ECM or the ignition system would be faster than pulling the fuse for the fuel pump.. Not much faster but nonetheless, faster.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Pull the main plug wire off the starter coil (distributor-less systems may require pulling more than one wire). This won't turn the car off perse, but it will stop the engine from firing. Next, disconnect the negative cable from the battery post. End-of-line. -PapaRick

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Inexperienced folks getting zapped by lethal high voltages on some coils is far better being trapped behind a closed garage door.

Reply to
Koji San

Stick a potato in the tailpipe??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

I think I'd pay good money to watch people play with 35kv ignition systems like that...

as others have mentioned, pull the fuel pump fuse or relay.

Regards,

Jim

Reply to
Jim