car wont accelarate toyota camry 1993

I have spent alot of money trying to fix a strange problem with my car. This does not happen all the time but when it does it wont go away for the whole day. When I drive the car will all the suddenly bog (it will not turn off) I can hit the gas all the way down and the car will not go. (its not a transmission type of problem) My mechanic thought it was the fuel pump but its not that or the fuel filter. Because it doesnt happen all the time its hard to show some one the problem. If It happens I cant get the car to accelarate fast enof so it would take me forever to get to a mechanic. I have already replaced the catalitic (the first mechanic thought thats what it was)

Reply to
manieves

Specifying engine size would help here. If you have the 4 cylinder engine I will bet that either your ignition coil is failing intermittantly, or it has been screwed with, and the 'screwer' left one or both of the primary wire terminal nuts loose on the coil itself.

The coil is located underneath the distributor cap on the 4cyl. If you need a coil, buy a Toyota dealer part. The aftermarket ones are crap. The Toyota ones are more durable. The coil-in-distributor design punishes the coil with extra heat and they eventually fail no matter what. I usually don't replace OE coils on Camrys

Reply to
Comboverfish