Carfax Please: 1FMZU67E73UA39645

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac VIN : 1FMZU67E73UA39645

thank you!

Reply to
Livin

Deary deary...

2003 Ford Explorer that has been given a "restored" registration.

Reply to
Noozer

How does this scam work, "*"

Reply to
<HLS

Seems obvious to me from what he said. Guy steals a car, asks in the ng for a CarFax lookup. You look it up, database hit generates a police inquiry, police come to *your* door asking what you know about the stolen vehicle; you can't trace the anonymous name being used by the OP through a botnet machine, so you got a lot of 'splainin' to do, Lucy.

Reply to
clifto

But why would the crook want a Carfax report?

He'd probably use the car in a crime then abandon it or sell it to a fence or take it to Mexico or chop it for parts. Why would he or the fence want a Carfax?

I suppose it's conceivable but doesn't seem too plausible...

Reply to
M.M.

No, I don't believe it. Suppose a stolen car is offered for sale on the side of the road near me. I go look it up on Carfax [I wonder if Carfax shows stolen cars as such?]. I see something I don't like, and decide not to buy it. Am I going to be arrested? Simply looking up the VIN of a car that has some shady history is not evidence of any kind of criminal intent on the part of the person doing the lookup.

It _is_ possible, I guess, that a criminal might want to use Carfax to see if a vehicle is currently reported stolen before he offers it for sale, and I can see why he wouldn't want that transaction being traced back to him.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

There is no payoff to a thief going this route... Thieves work on something that pays off.

Reply to
<HLS

Noozer, How did you find out about the "restored" title? The guy that owns it paid for a full CarFax and it does not show that. Can you email me the info you got? Seriously, I'm concerned about this purchase and if this guy is a scammer I want some proof... plus I will likely report it to the authorities.

thanks

LivinOne ..at.. gmail.com

Reply to
Livin

I always knew I wasn't devious enough to be a successful crook.

Reply to
<HLS