Change Timing Belt Based on Miles, or Time?

I have a 1985 Corolla. I use public transit to commute, so I only put about

3,000 miles/year on the car. The timing belt was last changed in 1994 at 58k miles. Nine years later, it now has 104k miles. Should I go ahead and change it now since so much time has passed, or is the wear based only on miles, which would mean that I should change it at 120, which would mean years from now?

I guess I am concerned about dry rot, exposure to the heat/cold cycles, etc. BTW, my belts and hoses are in good shape.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I'd do it now. The belt has still been under tension all this time and ozone never sleeps. Besides, they don't get much easier than an 85 Corolla...

Different types of rubber.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I can't speak for toy-auto, but Honda specifies every 90,000 miles or every 6 years, whichever comes first.

Reply to
John Ings