Change whitewalls to blackwalls? Paint?

Any good ideas on how to get rid of whitewall tires when you are stuck with them, WITHOUT getting new tires? Will just covering them with flat black spray paint work?

Bill S.

Reply to
bstevens

Yeah, just get rid of the whitewall tires and don't buy new tires. ROTFLMAO! Not really, that wasn't funny at all.

Your best bet is to have the tires remounted with the whitewalls in. I doubt any thing will reliably stick.

Reply to
RayV

ayep, reverse the tires.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

No, the spraypaint will crack. You _can_ buy flexible rubber-based paint for this sort of thing, but it would just be easier to remount the tires with the white stripe in.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The tire black and similar products will work - sort of. But they are designed for blackening existing blackwalls, so you may have to lay it on pretty thick. And expect that it will have to be renewed regularly. If it were me, I would live with the whitewalls until they drove me buggy, then buy two new ones.

Reply to
John S.

I don't know if you can even get real "tire black" anymore. It was basically carbon black suspended in paint thinner, and it would darn-near PERMANENTLY blacken anything it touched that was the least bit porous. Fingers and concrete driveways included :-p

I never painted out a whole whiteWALL with it, but I did black over raised white letters on tires so that you couldn't see them on the inside of the front tires when the wheels were turned. The blacking lasted longer than the tires did!

Reply to
Steve

Wouldn't recommend that. After a few thousand miles the steel belts in the tires are laying a certain direction. To reverse the tire would cause the belts to shift to the direction and could cause premature separation of outer tread puncture.

Reply to
Timm Sheehan

That's why you need to pull them off the rims, and remount them in reverse, so that they are turning in the same direction after you swap them over. As mentioned earlier in this thread.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

On a motorcycle like the OP has????????