check engine lamp question

HI

I've got a 2000 windstar, 42,000 km. This van is in really good shape. The other day the check engine lamp came on and hasn't gone off. Now I understand that this is mostly an exhaust, fuel type issue. There isn't condenstation in the fuel (I've used new gas now and added STP condensation fluid) the exhause is in good shape, the oxygen sensors are connected, no loose wires etc, the gas cap is on correctly. I hate having to take it to ford to have them hook up the code reader to tell me something simple. I've now driven it through 3 cycles (cold start run, off).

Any ideas?

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Huh? The check engine light can come on for many reasons. Guessing about it just doesn't make sense- the computer can be interrogated to find out exactly why the light is on, and there are built-in diagnostics and tons of data to help find the source of the problem.

Why would you hate using the quick & sure method of finding the source of the problem?

Yeah, get over your computer-phobia and take it to someone who can fix it right.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Hi Mark,

*thanks* for your advice.

Let me be a bit more frank. I'm not against getting and OBD 11 scan at all. Fact is, I'd love one. But my local ford wants $49.00 plus tax to tell me. So, I guess being frugal as most of us are I was wondering if there was anything else, off the top of anyone's head that I could look at.

I'm considering buying and Equus code reader, maybe now is the time.

*thanks* again.

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

< SNIP >

If you have an Autozone nearby they will read the codes for you... FREE.

Reply to
Anumber1

Most prices I've heard for reading the code are around $79 so $49 is a deal, I guess. Why not drop in at the local AutoZone? They will read the codes for you free. Of course, they hope to sell you the stuff to fix it... but the reading is still free. I'm sure other parts stores offer this service too but AZ advertises it and has signs in the windows about it.

Hope this helps - Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P

Alan,

I love the tag line!

Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P

$50 at

Local harborfrieght store has it & claims to have it at website. Unsure about this ODBII scanner features.

Reply to
Koji San