Checking bearings

How do I know for sure if my bearings are bad? I just replaced my front rotors and pads and I still occasionally get a shaking on the front right. Interesting that the pedal doesn't pulsate but on certain turns and certain road conditions the front right shakes when the brakes are applied. Not always though, just in certain driving conditions. It is also the front right that makes noises (rolling type noises) on the highway.

I'm beginning to suspect the front right hub/bearing might be bad.

If I raise the vehicle and grab the tire top and bottom and shake it how can I be sure the play isn't a tie-rod or ball joint?

Thanks

MB

Reply to
MAB

You just need to use your eyes. If you have right to left play, just 'look' at the tie rod and it's ends. If loose, you will see it. If you have easy in out play at the top, it is more likely the bearing than a ball joint. Ball joints are usually hard to move.

Mike

Mike Romain

I've seen worn ball joints cause this occasional instability on more than one occasion. On one in particular, the car would go into dangerously severe buffeting when the car was going into a corner at moderate speed..

It is worth checking both bearings and suspension components, IMO, just to be sure.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks. At just about 200K miles it's probably worth replacing them.

Reply to
MAB

At this mileage, one could call it mere maintenance. BUT: If your curiosity is like many, temporarily swapping front 2 wheels/tires may tell you something--just what, I can't recall at the moment, as I'm exhausted from yard work. Funny how twice the labor on cars is less tiring! HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

They were rotated with no difference. The sound/noise is defineately not a tire noise.

Reply to
MAB

Do those rotors slip on over the wheel studs? Did you clean off all the rust/dirt/other crud from the hub face before installing the rotors? My Cavalier used to shudder when braking, and everyone said it was warped rotors. I took them off to do the pads, and found lots of junk between the rotors and hubs, stuff that had fallen into that gap every time the tires were changed and the rotor came a bit loose. The junk makes the rotors (and wheels) wobble.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Didn't look like there was any junk in there. I'll check it. I know this, both tie-rods are worn and the

3'ocolock-9'oclock shake of the wheel causes it to wobble so I know these need replacing. I can see the movement in them through the spokes of the wheel. The wobble is most pronounced on left turns.

MB

Reply to
MAB

Is this a FWD vehicle? If so how are your CV joints?

nate

Reply to
N8N

CV's look fine, but they would have more to do with acceleration or power to the wheels, rather than the problems I'm having.

MB

Reply to
MAB