Computer Diagnostics

I have recently had an episode with my 1995 Dodge Intrepid. I was getting an Insufficient EGR code. I went through the manual and checked everything and all checked out ok. I went through the and checked voltages and vaccume pressures and all checked ok, I took apart the EGR and tubes and examined, they were not clogged, but I cleaned anyway with Carb cleaner. Still problem existed. After a month of chasing this ghost, I took the car to the dealer. They told me that they put it on their computer and the computer showed that the valve was not opening fully. They replaced the valve and all is well. I guess the long and short of this post is that I have a decent code reader, the same one I used to borrow from the auto parts store, but is there a reader/scanner/software package out there that will allow me to look at this kind of data without breaking the bank? If so, what is a good one? How much can they monitor?

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
Lewis11561

Sometimes there's no substitute for a factory scan tool.

Dodge (Mopar) dealers use a tool called a DRB-III to access many systems and reflash program PCMs. There is no other scan tool in existance that can access some of these systems. You can buy one, if you have about $7000. It's called a proprietary scanner. GM has it's own - called the Tech II. Honda and Toyota use one that's called the MasterTech.

Now, there are some scan tools that provide "enhanced" OBD-II functionality, such as the Snap On MT2500, and the OTC Genisys. They provide some of the functionality of the above scanners, and for a lower price. Usually in the vicinity of $2000 to $3000. Most independant repair shops have one or the other. But there's a lot of stuff they won't do either.

Then on the low end of the spectrum are basic code readers, which I've seen for as low as $100. All they do is pull a code out of the drivetrain module. Most won't access the transmission computer, or Body, ABS, SRS or theft systems. So you get what you pay for. And they aren't able to perform any tests.

CFster

Reply to
CFster

Thanks, That is kind of what I thought. I already have one of the $100 ones.

Dan

Reply to
Lewis11561

|Thanks, That is kind of what I thought. I already have one of the $100 ones. | |Dan

Which one do you have?

Does anyone have any experience with the Equus Innova 3100? I have the catalog etc but wondering what the real-world limitations are. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I bought the ACTRON unit, I can't remember the number. It is the orange one and iot sells for about $135. It is the same one that the local Autozone here uses. It is a code reader and it will just do some systems monitoring but only ready or not ready.

Dan

Reply to
Lewis11561

Not even close.

You got screwed. Especially considering that it has already been replaced with the Solus Pro.

Reply to
aarcuda69062