Re: leaking fuel injectors on 93 cavalier

I have a 93 cavalier that the o-rings around the fuel injectors are leaking.

> I have replaced them once already. Is this a common problem? The engine is > a 2.2 liter 4cyl. multiport injected.

Yes. And it's ferequently the actual injectors leaking, and not the o-rings.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Did you replace them with GM or Viton O-rings? Or the generic parts store O-rings which are generally Buna-N and wholely unsuitable for underhood temperatures.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Do a pressure drop test. You'll need a fuel pressure guage, hook it up to the fuel rail, jumper the fuel pump to run until the pressure is up, then turn off the fuel pump. The pressure should drop very, very slowly, maybe a pound an hour. Or, you can pull the injector rail off the manifold leaving the fuel lines attached and the injector clips still holding the injectors into the rail, pressurise the system and look for leaking. That requires some disassembly and may not work on yours depending on the fuel rail and injector design. My experience is with the injection system used on the Chevy 2.8 V6 used in the late 80's.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

JazzMan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net:

I can see fuel on the rail and the connector of the injectors after I shut the motor off so I know that it is leaking but not sure now if it is leaking because of the o-rings. If it was the actual injector leaking where would the leak be at on the injector. I thought that if the injector was leaking they would leak internally down into the intake but im not sure if that is correct or not.

Reply to
cavalierman

You're seeing liquid fuel on the rail? I misunderstood what was happening. Injectors hardly ever, like almost never, leak out of their bodies. Instead they leak at the pintle that's inside the intake manifold, causing a rich condition and other symptoms. If you've replaced the O-rings and fuel is leaking out of the joint between the injector and the fuel rail, then either the O-ring seating surfaces are dirty or they're damaged. This needs to be repaired ASAP, do not drive the car like this as it represents a SERIOUS fire hazard.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

JazzMan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net:

I cleaned the area where the o-rings went on the injectors and the bore where the injector goes at also. I also lubricated the o-rings with a small amount of clean motor oil when putting them on as recommended by the repair manual. I've got the new o-rings to put on and a fire extinguisher riding shotgun until I get them put on.

Reply to
cavalierman