Continuously Variable Transmission

Sure. A lot of Cushman three-wheeled vehicles had (have) this. You know the little vehicles that meter-maids and zoo employees drive. They are small, simple and off the shelf. Two variable pulleys and a belt. Quite a few other manufacturers have this same design, especially golf cart manufacturers.

Oh, you wanted one for a car. That's a little different.......

Reply to
Kruse

no this is to use for a weight lifting system, so it can be any CVT... I just found a mini moto CVT which is quite cheap. Not too sure on the ratio between the diameter of the two pulleys though (what the max/min diameter of each pulley is).

Reply to
will_usher

Also, what mechanism controls the distance between the two plates to vary the diameter of the pulleys? And how is this mechanism controlled?

Reply to
will_usher

Snowmobiles have CVT.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Now that you mention it, several years ago I bought my son a Dingo (something like a go-kart) which had a variable belt type transmission.

It was a bit problematic, but then when you give a young boy a hard use toy, you expect some problems.

Reply to
<HLS

controlled?

Engine RPM controls it. There is a cam system on the driven pulley that tries to hold the sheave together. The drive pulley is controlled by various methods, most use weights, either flyweights or roller weights, as the engine RPM rises these weights move the sheaves on the drive pulley tighter while springs try to keep them apart. By adjusting the weights, ramps and springs you can fine tune the clutch unit to whatever characteristics you need.

Steve W.

"John S." wrote

Correct. To avoid slipping, the belt or chain must be firmly pressed on/between the pulleys. Imagine a bicycle chain pressed onto the toothed wheels (although in this case unneccessary). That must produce a noticeable amount of friction.

In small motorcycles strong springs enforce a constant pressure, designed for maximum torque -> constantly maximum friction.

In modern cars the electronic monitors torque and power needed, electric/hydraulic actuators apply the variable pressure.

Cheers

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

But is a planetary transmission continuously variable? I thought it was a two speed (for each planetary gear set).

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Almost every major manufactur sells or has sold a vehicle with a CVT Here are some examples - Ford - 500/Freestyle, GM - Saturn Vue (and Ion?), Nissan - Murano, Honda - Civic Hybrid, Volvo (old DAF designs).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I know but I need a much smaller CVT than a car CVT.

Reply to
will_usher

"Don Stauffer" wrote

In the special configuration of the Prius it is a true CVT.

applicable for every single-engined car.But still a genius invention. Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

wrote

Look at small motorcycles! Those CVTs are also sold seperately or in parts (tuning, ...).

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

This is the gokart type drive, called a torque convertor.

<HLS

what is going on in that animation?!

Reply to
will_usher

wrote

- Select English/US (or the simulation will try to show japanese signs)

- Check the Driving mode-Checkbox on the right

- Select D-Range (like standard automatic) in the right Combobox (B[rake]-Range is special for Prius with more recuperation downhill)

- Use the Accel and/or Brake-throttle with your mouse

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

A chain that is so tight that it exerts pressure on the sprocket wheels could cause considerable friction --- in the hubs of those sprocket wheels. But also, because of the way the chain engages with the teeth, excessive tension could cause some friction at the points of engagement and disengagement where the chain is tangential to the sprocket. And of course, the bicycle chain is composed of links which bend and straighten and are lubricated. More chain tension means more friction in these links.

A belt, such as a rubber fan belt, generates heat from being deformed as it bends around the pulleys and straightens. A CV transmission's V-belt minimizes the friction deformation of the belt by its composition of many thin steel bands that hold together trapezoidal pieces with enough gaps between them to allow for bending without compressing any material.

You'd think that if the V-belt does not slip with respect to the pulleys, there wouldn't be frictional losses. But the details of the reality are different. :)

Check out the Ph. D. paper of one Sam Akehurst, from the University of Bath:

"An Investigation into The Loss Mechanisms Associated with a Pushing Metal V-Belt Continuously Variable Transmission"

Reply to
Kaz Kylheku

On simpler machines like scooters it is a mechanical control. Below is an interesting and detailed discussion of how one works and how it may be modified.

John S.

do you think it would be possible to modify this mechanical control so that someone could vary the diameter of the pulley by hand (as I'm thinking of using one on a weight lifting system).

Could I literally buy something like this and set it up easily;

will_usher

I think that it could be done with extensive modification. Remember that transmission is designed to have an engine spining at 5,000+ rpm on the input shaft and the output shaft is designed to run a scooter at

30mph. The rpm's you will be developing will be totally different. Also remember that because you will need to exert squeezing pressure on both pulleys to keep the belt in one position and fully tensioned. Consequently you will have some friction to overcome. I suspect that it will not be a very efficient way of lifting. I would look for a simple two speed gearbox and attach a drum to one end and a hand crank to the other.
Reply to
John S.

"John S." wrote

The scooter vario itself has a ratio of about 0.75 to 2.4. A second fixed gear (near rear wheel) reduces the rpm by another ca. 1:10.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer