Continuously Variable Transmission

wrote

Ah. So that's what you really want it for... a weight-lifting machine where you don't remove/replace individual plates, or move a pin from one hole to another in a vertical shaft, changing the number of plates lifted off the ground.

I doubt it. The shifting of the belt style CVT relies on the pullies constantly rotating along with the belt, while the side-pressure of the moveable half of the pulley makes the belt "climb" up out of the groove, allowing the pulley halves to get closer.

You seem to want a more "static" system, where you change the leverage "ratio" while everything is sitting still, and then apply the force.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

That's quite a range of ratios and a very long fixed step-down gear. So that I understand it correctly, does the vario transmission input shaft vary from .75 to 2.4 revolutions for every revolution of the output shaft?

Reply to
John S.

I have also seen extremely simple CVT:s on small lawn mowers, that even give you a reverse for free.

You have a driven flat round plate and a wheel that runs on the plate at a 90 degree angle. That wheel is axially adjustable so that it can sit at the center of the rotating plate, at which time the output shaft is not moving. The farther away from the center of the plate you move the wheel, the faster will the output shaft rotate. Moving the wheel to the other side of of the input shaft center will make the output shaft rotate in the other direction.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

"John S." wrote

Yes. Typical rpm varies from 2000 (idle) to 7000 (open throttle). Let's assume a wheel with 1m circumference. Minimum speed would be 2000rev/min -> 2000/60 rev/s / 2.4 (vario) / 10 (fixed) = 1.4 wheel-turns/s -> 5kph Maximum speed 7000/60/0.75/10 = 15.6 wheel-turns/s -> 56kph.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

OK, that is useful information. I suspect that the range of ratios would suit the application described by the original poster. I would think that there would be extensive modifications required to allow a vario transmission to be used as a multi-speed pulley however.

Reply to
John S.