Crown Vic 1996 Automatic Slips in Overdrive

I loaned the car to my stepson. I would like to drive it home about

150 miles. He informes me the car slips a lot in top gear but not in second. He did not know about in third gear with the overdrive off. The transmission fluid is at the correct level after running the engine for a few minutes. Can I drive this car home?
Reply to
westwindwood2003

The transmission in your 1996 Crown Victoria is electronically controlled unit. If it is slipping in overdrive is likely a result of band or servo failure for overdrive. The band used for overdrive has no other function in the transmission. This is a common failure and those transmissions. It is possible for the overdrive band to fail, leaving the translation essentially in neutral when the overdrive is engaged. If the transmission is placed into direct or third gear manually by pressing the button to disable overdrive, you will remain in that position without trying to select overdrive internally. That will allow you to drive the vehicle to return at home. just remember that the transmission defaults to the overdrive operating each time the vehicle is turned off and restarted. Unfortunately, the transmission will need to be disassembled to repair the overdrive band. Essentially, the vehicle is due for a transmission overhaul under these conditions.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut