Custom AC install - compressor wiring?

I've put an engine from a 2002 truck with a Denso pump into a '75 ElCamino, which has the original VIR type system.

I have not yet installed the hoses, so I can still install whatever sensors I may need. The sensors in the 2002 all go to the computer, so I can't really tell what they do. I will NOT be using the computer, so need to come up with a practical way to wire this to provide for some amount of safety of the system. The system in the '75 used a thermal limiter fuse, but I don't even know if the switch in the new Denso pump serves the same function as the "superheat switch" in the old A6 pump.

Any suggestions on how to wire this up? Are there any pre-computer systems that I could use as a source for the wiring setup?

Thx Scott Kelley

Reply to
Scott Kelley

Get a high pressure limiter switch to shut down the compressor if the high side goes too high (overcharged, clogged orifice tube, etc.) and use a thermal cycling switch to cut it off when the low-side suction line at the evaporator gets down to about 38-40 degrees F to prevent icing the evaporator or slugging the compressor with liquid refrigerant. That's about all it takes to get a system working safely, and both are available at your local AC shop or online (eg, ClassicAutoAir.com ACKits.com, etc.)

While I'm at it, I'll put in a testimonial for ClassicAutoAir. I recently installed one of their compressor conversion kits to put a brand new Sanden SD5 compressor in the factory location for an old Chrysler RV2 compressor (great compressor, but hard to get a decent rebuild since it hasn't been manufactured in almost 30 years). It was literally a bolt-on, and VERY well done, and came complete with the needed cycling switch because the Sanden doesn't limit evaporator temperatures with an EPR valve the way the Chrysler does. And very good telephone consulting before the sale, too.

Reply to
Steve