Cutlass Sup 1986 - Black smoke

Cutlass Supreme V8 307 Just went over 90,000 Replaced the fuel pump last year Replaced fuel filter and set the timing a few months ago Spark plugs last year Cap and Rotor 2 years ago Rebuilt 350 transmission last year Water pump just started leaking (replacing within a day or so) Fuel lines were replaced a few moths ago No engine lights, well except when it is cold as hell, a sensor triggers it, when the car runs and heats up, the light goes out.

This is some weirdness. I drove my car the night before, NO PROBLEMS, she flew all around the city. The next day, I go to get in her, she cranks up, idles up, all normal, and then she starts to come down, and rough. No big deal, i figured it would blow out, and when that didn't happen.

My father believes, bad gas, or cap and rotor need to be replaced. It is time for a tune up anyway, but no symptoms the day prior.

So I happen to look under the car while it was running, to my surprise i see a misting from under the tank, and that freaked me out, so i tuned the car off. There is a nice marking where the gas came from, i figure the sending unit is leaking.

So can the sending unit suck air and cause the car to run rich? Is the carb in need of rebuilding? EGR? No engine lights came on either, the car idles super low as if it were barely running and cuts off if i let it run at that speed eventually.

Reply to
C-Town Cutty

Appears my timing chain is about to go, or has gone. Not sure if i should say goodthing i was going to take out the water pump, but while it will be off, I guess the removal of the chain is somewhat a good thing.

Reply to
C-Town Cutty

Wasn't the timing chain, appears the leaking gas line, above the tank coming out of the sending unit caused the problem. My father put in a new tank and sending unit, replaced the bas lines from the sending unit up to the new lines that were put on the car earlier this year and now the car runs great. Hopefully this will help someone else out.

Reply to
C-Town Cutty