Defective Wear Tab on Brake Pad ??

I had the car in for state inspection yesterday. The metal wear indicator tab is about to contact the brake rotor, indicating it's time to replace the pads.

Problem is, the pads are still at least an eigth of an inch thick. The rivets only come out about 1/32 inch into the pad right ??

Why would the wear tab be positioned like it is? Can I bend it easily with a pliers ?

It would be a shame to waste so much good brake pad.

Thanks

Reply to
Caprice85

It's put there to warn it is time to replace the pads. Rivets are ussually 2/32". You only have a 1/16" left. Alot of times the pad will crack and break apart from heat, thus ruining the rotor. You can bend the wear tab, but the best thing is change the brake pads!!! Piece of cake to do and they're not that expensive for a older GM.

Reply to
dahpater

That's not much pad left between the rivet and metal. Just replace them and save yourself the cost of a more expensive brake job.

Reply to
John S.

OK. Thanks for the replies.

Reply to