demo derby transmission failed

Just finished getting beat to hell in the compact class. I ran an 83 Chevy Cavalier 2.0 auto. The body held up absolutely great compared to the others. I stopped moving after some hard hits. My left front tire was off the bead so I hoped the rim was spinning in the tire but there was no smoke. Several spectators said the rim wasn't moving. They towed me out and I started it and actually drove it onto the trailer. It had plenty of fluid. It's in good shape to run again next year assuming I put in a new tranny. I've done everthing to cars except tear into a auto trans. I would love to take it out make it bullet proof (if even for just

1st and reverse) weld up the spiders and put it back in. Any tips on what typically goes wrong with this type of tranny? Are these weak trannys? (I know these are extreme conditions!)
Reply to
afdr9lk

Extremely *stupid* conditions...

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Of course you know this because you were there??? Back to the OP's question, These were not bad transmissions, what all was tore up besides the front tire?? Was the lower control arm mashed in with the axle up against the case? What noise did the tranny make when you put it in gear? Since it did work when it cooled down it really leaves alot to look at. I would start at the engine and transaxle mounts, see whats left of them. Sidecover, etc the same...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

Not to mention little stuff, like bent or broken shift linkage so that it wouldn't go into the gear you thought you were selecting.

Yeah, demo derby is stupid.... if you use collectable cars or cars that could supply parts for collectables. But its the perfect fate for a Cavalier... :-p And it sure is fun! :-)

Reply to
Steve

The car is in fine shape. I'm going to run it again next year if I fix/replace the tranny. No damage at all to the drive train. The car does not move in any gear 1,2,D,R except very slightly sometimes. I can hear a lot of noise which I thought was a rod knocking but now I suspect the drive chain may be slipping?

Reply to
afdr9lk

Since you have the benefit of being able to see/hear the problem I suspect that you are right. Or the converter is bouncing around on a busted pump housing...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

Is the chain/gears a common failure?

Reply to
afdr9lk

No, not in my experiences.

Reply to
Edward Strauss

What an simple minded statement...good gawd!! What would ever give you the idea that manufacturers would consider the habits of drivers who repeatedly crash junk cars into one another.

Reply to
John S.