Detecting Odometer Rollover

I have been shopping around for a beater recently. I am trying to find a Ford truck with around 100K, but I am having a problem. All the trucks that I have looked at are too old to have 6 digits on the odometer, so I don't have any way to tell how many miles the vehicle really has. I have two questions. First, when did Ford start using 6 digit odometers? Second, is there any way to tell if an odometer has rolled over? Since I am in Chicagoland, would I be able to get the emissions results from past years from the DMV?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Calvin

Don't know.

Only by the wear on other parts.

The IL EPA as far as I know does not make such information available if they even keep it beyond pass/fail.

As of the feb-1 1995 and older vehicles will be exempt from testing. May have to test at ownership change, as that is not 100% clear, but I don't think so.

Reply to
Brent P

Sounds like the vin # is the older type not listed on carfax or dmv.org. Only way that I can think of is to look at wear on brake pedal, paint on turnsignal stalk ect..., carpet wear where your heel sits ect.... Best of luck

Reply to
RamrodSteel

My '92 has 230,000, I mean 130,000, I mean 30,000 on it.

So 92 was 5.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

In Canada we had six digits in the early '80s. We're on kilometers here; the numbers add up 60% faster and the odometer would turn over a lot sooner than if it was in miles, so the manufacturers went to six digits. The legislators might have had something to do with it, too, to try to limit the fraud at the used-car dealers. IIRC, our odometers also have tamper-revealing devices in them, like dye capsules that make a mess if the thing is fooled with.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam