odometer not working on F350

I have a 1999 F350 super duty with a dump bed - just got it and am fixing it up. It came with a "broken" odometer - mileage is stuck in one place and the trip mileage meter doesn't work either. The speedometer does work. Before I dive into this do any of you gurus out there have ideas about what would cause this? I got a Chilton's repair manual for this truck but it has proved almost useless for any repairs I've been doing. This looks like a mechanical, not digital, odometer, so I assume it has a cable to the tranny. But since the speedometer works, this must be hooked up....

Thanks mucho

John

Reply to
Doctor John

Not necessarily. I had an old Firebird with the opposite problem. Odometer works, but speedo didn't. I replaced the speedo cable and all was good again. You might try pulling the cable from the sleeve and greasing it up good too.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

please explain how you think this happened?? they both run off the cable on the older ones and should not be poss. to affect one or the other seperatly. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Also, the speedo on the 99 superduty is electronic, not mechanical, speed is sensed from the rear diff ring gear sensor. Probably a component in the speedo is fried. I think someone tried to roll back the miles.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I would if I could, but I don't have a clue as to why the odometer worked but the speedo didn't. Doesn't make sense, but I know what I saw.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Reply to
Doctor John

If the speedo has been replaced (a rather important bit of info) and the odometer had been replaced along with it, there should be documentation showing the odometer reading before replacement, so you can account for the new odometer reading. But that's not your problem, so I'd guess maybe something became disconnected or not connected correctly. I'm not an EE so I wouldn't know what components to trace. You have to take the dash cover off (I think you have to remove the radio first, you;ll need a special Ford radio removing tool for that) then the speedo housing should come out as a unit.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo