Reading odometer in 1994 Ford Taurus

I recently bought a used 1994 Ford Taurus. I have read about all of the grief I may have with this car but I have a really simple question. The odometer has only 6 digits with the 6th digit being black numbers on white background. I read the owners manual but it is silent on reading the distance from the odometer. If I assume that the 6th digit is

10th's of a mile, the odometer reads close to 16 thousand miles which is absurd for a 1994 car. So, I am assuming that this car has close to 116 thousand miles on it... am I right?
Reply to
evan.dust.vancouver

I recently bought a used 1994 Ford Taurus. I have read about all of the grief I may have with this car but I have a really simple question. The odometer has only 6 digits with the 6th digit being black numbers on white background. I read the owners manual but it is silent on reading the distance from the odometer. If I assume that the 6th digit is

10th's of a mile, the odometer reads close to 16 thousand miles which is absurd for a 1994 car. So, I am assuming that this car has close to 116 thousand miles on it... am I right?
Reply to
evan.dust.vancouver

Not necessarily....have you checked the car out? I mean, soes it look like it has 116,000 miles on it or more like16,000. Its not really absured, I own a 1990 ford truck and it only has just under 25,000 miles on it. I also own a 1984 chevy with less than 22,000 miles on it...I am the original owner on both those vehicles... and I also own a 1979 motorcycle with under

7500 miles on it....so it could be possible.... just look at the engine block.... is it really grimey?? or more on the dusty side? Original tires? is the drivers seat nice and plump, or does it sag?? things like this are telltail signs....or it could also be 216,000 for all you know too...

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

you are right, the last one is indeed tenths, as far as the mileage goes , look at the wear on the rubber pad on the brake pedal...if only

16,000 miles it should look practically new, if it is worn a lot it is more than likely 100,000 plus........
Reply to
plainoldmechanic

You, when the odometer hit 99,999 and 9/10ths it rolled back to all

00,000's. I could be have 116,000 miles or 216,000 or more (doubt that tho, I don't think a taurus can go that far).
Reply to
anumber1

So if it reads 819756 does that mean it only has 81975.6 or 819,756? Just bought a 94 seems fairly taken care of! Just am having a hard time understanding the odometer

Reply to
Amellies