Dexcool Storage ?

Hello,

I have a jug or two of Dexcool anti freeze. One never opened, and one that has been opened.

How many years can one safely keep jugs of this stuff and still feel safe in using it ? (same answer for never opened vs opened ?)

I guess like all chemicals it degrades with time, but how fast ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

HANDLING PRACTICES

The primary limiting factor in the shelf life of a coolant is silicate instability. Since silicate will eventually polymerize to silicate gel, all traditional coolants have a shelf life of about 18 months. Chevron DEX-COOL Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is silicate-free and therefore can be stored for at least 8 years without a problem, provided the integrity of the container is maintained.

anon

I thought using Dexcool was a no-no. My sister was just telling me all kinds of horror stories about her Buick and Dexcool. Never really made heads or tails of it, except Dexcool is bad stuff. Already heard that. Something about an underhood label and servicers (Dealer/JiffyLube, etc) will always keep putting Dexcool in because the label says so. When I bought my '97 Lumina I paid my kid to drain the cooling system, and replace the thermostat and hoses. Always do that with a new used car. He came in the house and asked me if he should put Dexcool in, because that's what the label said. I whipped him. Just kidding. But I did tell him to flush it a bit and put in green stuff. That was some years/hot miles ago, and nary a peep from the cooling system. Why would anybody use Dexcool?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I always use Prestone, I buy it when I need it. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It is a bit too minty tasting for me.

Reply to