Opinions on life expectancy and brands for Toyota Cressida fuel pump & wheel bearings?

Have an '89 Cressida with 140K on it, AFAIK it's the original fuel pump and wheel bearings. Thinking about a preventative replacement on them.

The dealer wants $327 for the pump, AutoZone has 2 available - Denso $132 and Asian $193. NAPA has a Carter pump for $154 incl filter, Bosch for $199 incl filter.

There isn't as dramatic a difference on price on the wheel bearings/ seals.

Any familiarity with the Denso, Asian, Carter, Bosch brands? Is the Toyota pump infinitely better and worth 2 1/2 x the price of the less expensive pump? Are the bearings any better? Quality is a consideration but obviously don't want to pay more for something that's exactly the same just rebadged.

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
HiC

To replace the bearings, am I gong to need any tools that I can't get at Autozone, Advance, etc.?

Reply to
HiC

Where do you live, do you live where roads are salted, is car rusted. I would not worry about those items, front bearings maybe when brakes are done. If car has rust and pump is in tank it will cost alot more as my tank straps and lines rusted through. What you should worry about, is my 91 had its brake and fuel lines rust completely through years ago, I lost brakes, had a minor accident and drove home on the emergency brake that didnt work well. Hoses, tires, belts, brake, fuel lines, radiator, thermostat, wires, and the list goes on with things you might really need.

Reply to
ransley

The original pump was probably made by Denso, with Toyota's name on it.

Reply to
the fly

Denso and Aisin are Toyota OEM suppliers. I am not familiar with "Asian" but if it is Aisin, the quality should be good.

I would not bother changing the fuel filter unless you think there is a problem and it has tested bad. The Cressida is not known for going through fuel filters or wheel bearings.

A more common problem with Cressidas is leaking cam tower and head gaskets. I would pay attention to those areas first.

Reply to
Ray O