Did Buick make a 3.1L V6 for 2002 LeSabre?

Good morning, We're searching for a first car for my daughter and stumbled on a 2002 LeSabre Ltd. with 50k miles. Surprisingly, for a teenager, she l ikes it, so I've looked for reviews, recalls, etc., and can only find them for a 3.8L for the LeSabre. Have I missed something? Might the seller hav e switched engines? If so, wouldn't there be ramifications to its performan ce, or fittings? I'd really appreciate some advice about this potential pur chase. Thank you.

Reply to
seas4me

What makes you think it's a 3.1 ?

According to Edmunds website, only a 3.8 was offered in 2002

According to info at Wikipedia, Buick may never have offered a 3.1

Retired

OK car if you don't mind the low gas mileage. Big and hard to maneuver. The 3.3-3.8 was probably the best GM V-6 ever made however it did have a major problem with coolant leaking into the intake manifold which eventually destroys the engine. Do a Google search for: gm 3.8, intake manifold leak

Unlikely the engines were switched. It would not be worth the thousands of $$$ not including engine and trans and hundreds of work hours to get it to work. Besides, you can easily tell by looking at it. The 60 degree 3.1 looks way different than the 90 degree 3.8.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

If it's a 2002 LeSabre they only came with the 3.8 V6.

The Buick Century in 2002 had a 3.1

Reply to
Steve W.

Thank you. I'll look under the hood this time. The seller repeatedly said it was a 3.1 and since I hadn't researched larger sedans prior to seeing it I was uninformed.

Reply to
seas4me

Thank you. I've a call in to see if perhaps he meant to say 3.8.

Reply to
squid

That's what the seller said but I didn't think to look under the hood at that time. Thank you.

Reply to
squid

Really appreciate the assistance. Heard back from the seller who retracted the 3.1 to say it was indeed a 3.8. Now that that is straightened out it seems like it could be a safe and dependable car for my girl.

Reply to
squid

Just to let you know: there is only one reason why teenagers are willing to drive enormous boats like this. It's because there is plenty of room in the back seat for making out.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

No, it's because somebody else was willing to pay for it. A large underpowered low-status car is the perfect first car for a kid.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Yipes! She said it was so her tall family would sit comfortably. Next!

Reply to
squid

Craigslist? Kijiji? Where's the ad so we can point out a hundred flaws in the car. We'll start with the seller not even knowing what engine it has.

Reply to
Sanity Clause