different gas, different gas mileage

Good point. I normally use Mobile because there's a lot of them around here and their price is about the same as the others. When I'm on the road I try to stick to them too, because I never had "issues" with their gas. But then i never have "issues" when I fill up elsewhere either. Could be the same gas anyway.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The gasoline is pretty much all the same. It all pretty much comes through the same pipelines.

The ethanol added is not all the same. It's not added in the pipeline, but at the local distributor because it will absorb moisture and varnish in the pipeline. Some times the ethanol added is full of varnish and moisture anyway.

The additive load is completely different. The local distributor gets generic gasoline, adds ethanol and then an additive package and sells it, and they set the package and ethanol ratios up so that they just barely meet the rated octane number. This means a slightly different package from one load of gasoline to another because the original source material varies randomly.

Some distributors are better at doing this than others.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

While this is true for a given area, it is not necessarily true from one area to the next. The EPA requires different fuel blends in some areas. See

for more information. There is a map at
. I also don't know about soeone else's comments on where the ethanol is added. I know the local distributor doesn't add it, but I suppose it might be added at the tank farm fuurther away (at the end of the pipe line).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

A guy on another group said he followed the trucks from a distribution depot to different brand gas stations. He thought it was the same gas going everywhere. I looked up how it works, and it's pretty much how you say. The depot manifolds can pull from various tanks to make a mix for any truck.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

And the trucks don't have just "one compartment." The same truck can carry many different products. The large semi-trailers usually have 5 or more separate compartments. The smaller trucks may only have 2 or

  1. No ruck has one large compartment. The sloshing would make the truck undriveabale.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Blends of gasoline are changed for the four different seasons, Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.Also depending on which parts of America the gasoline is sold/distributed to.I guess it still works that way. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

no but i see you're waiting with baited breath, so you must need that info very bad before you can add gas to your car. you must be stranded in a hotel somewhere......

hell i just have to make a phone call to the amsoil dealer/shop owner who gave me the info in the first place and i'll get the info, but i thought i had it written down somewhere. i didnt think anyone was waiting to find out before he could move on with his life, but you proved that to be wrong. sorry you are suffering from boredom.

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news:4b904451$0$21010$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

I like Red Wiggler worms, myself. They're great with smallmouth bass.

Oddly, carp love corn kernels. Weird fish, they are.

Well, I have to pay the government a certain amount every month for this dump, so it must be a hotel of some kind.

Oh, I am, I am. You promised, now cough it up!

But you promised! And you fibbed, I really think...

Reply to
Tegger

I have noticed differences between brands and octanes. My Tercel did best with Gulf 93 octane, ~44MPG combined. Using 89 octane it would be about 39.

Also, Shell didn't go over well with my 4 cylinders, but ran well in my LHS. I got about 28 combined in the LHS using Shell Ultra (Vermont station, at that time NO ethanol!)

Around here, Gulf seems to do the best. We do not have Chevron ( :(...I like Techron, too...) or Amoco.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

yes the Cadillac of worms

Reply to
Rob

Fishing, you say? If you are going fishing, get a can of sweet corn, poke some holes in the can and hang it in the water.The fish will come ahrunning.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

We now have that Chevron ethanol notification here in Western BC. At least it will soak up the moisture in our gas tanks.

Glad our 2.7 Sebring, 3.3 Concorde & 3.5 300M get better mileage than the PT cruiser.

Reply to
Josh S

Years and years ago, mostly I used Chevron gas in my 1978 Dodge van because there is a gas station very near me which was Chevron, it is now an Exxon gas station.I noticed/saw that Chevron gas caused a greenish looking slimey/mossy looking stuff in the carburetor of my van, 2 barrel Carter carburetor.I stopped using Chevron gas.

Since then, didn't Chevron merge, or whatever, with Exxon?

Whatever, I don't buy Exxon gas either.I won't even use it in my lawn mower. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Chevron bought Texaco. Exxon bought Mobil.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Chevron and Exxon, both names have ons in them.Maybe that is what threw me. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I wonder what was in that Chevron gas that caused that mossy looking stuff in the carburetor? I have never had that problem before with other brand names of gas.

If Chevron bought Texaco, I am staying away from Texaco gas.There are no Texaco gas stations around here anyway, Mobile either. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Got Texaco? Its the same gasoline s (ChevronTexaco is one company now, just like BP/Amoco, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, etc.- merger madness a few years back.) The odd thing is that most of those companies kept their lubricating oil operations separate after mergers. Mobil engine oil is different than Exxon, Havoline is different than Chevron Delo, etc. Of course Shell is the nuttiest- they own and market Shell (non heavy duty), Quaker State, and Pennzoil under the SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US) corp, but their heavy duty oils (Rotella in the US, Helix elsewhere) are yet another division, and all the oil formulations are measurably different if you look at an oil analysis of each. Kinda like GM of the 1960s- not that many parts would interchange between a Buick and a Chevy.

Reply to
Steve

I thought Shell and BP were the same company.

Reply to
Bill Putney

BP owns Castrol.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

And Amoco... unless something changed while I wasn't looking. These days that's entirely possible!

Shell is still part of Royal Dutch.

Reply to
Steve