Disassembling side mirror assembly - '98 Oldsmobile

The glass and motor drive portions of the passenger side remote control mirror on SWMBO's '98 Olds 88 got damaged, so I ordered an aftermarket replacement which arrived today. What I got was a TYC replacement housing/motor/mirror assembly which is labeled as also fitting Buick LeSabres of similar vintage.

The original mirror housing wasn't damaged, so I'd like to see if I can reuse it to avoid having to paint the naked replacement. (Even if I have to fiddle up some little adaptor brackets if the motor unit doesn't quite match the original GM housing.)

What's the procedure for removing the mirror and its backing plate to get at the screws which fasten the motor unit inside the housing?

Looking at what's left of the busted motor assembly it appears like the mirror mount has a ball pivot on its back which snaps into a plastic socket on the motor unit, but I'm afraid to pull too hard on the mirror and snap something off, so I thought it better to ask here first.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Success is getting what you like; Happiness is liking what you get."

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia