1988 Corolla Sedan Tail Light Assembly - What Sealant to Use?

When I removed the damaged tail/brake/backup light assembly, I saw a sealant between the plastic assembly and the painted metal opening over which it fits. The sealant is to prevent water leaking behind the assembly and into the trunk.

I noticed that although it had been 20 years since assembly, the old sealant was still flexible and soft, almost a soft putty like consistency. But due to the damage, I can not re-use it. Instead I need to apply some new sealing material that will work just as well to 1) keep water out while 2) not causing a squeak due to possible friction between the light assembly and the body.

The new replacement light unit came without any included sealant or gasket, and the schematic drawing used by the Toyota parts counter shows nothing there.

Consulting with a service advisor I purchased some ordinary silicone sealant in a tube, but my concern is that this may dry too hard and not work as well as what the factory used.

I also purchased "non-hardening form-a-gasket sealant" from an auto parts store and tested that - it is a little too wet compared with the original product used by Toyota 20 years ago. That is, it seems a little TOO non-hardening.

What's the right product to use for this application?

- Don

Reply to
Don Enderton

Toyota generally does not use a caulk or sealant between light assemblies and body parts and uses a gasket. I would use silicone caulk to seal the unit.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, Ray O, that's what I used. I hope I put it on thick enough to seal everywhere.

I'll find out next time I go through a car wash or a heavy rainstorm. If I applied enough, no water will leak into the trunk via the taillight housing. If I didn't, it will, and I'll have to remove and replace the unit, using more caulk. - maybe applying a second layer, after the first layer firms up more.

I'm still annoyed that Toyota parts didn't supply needed material or instructions for that detail. Oh well, a body shop might have replaced the unit with no seal at all...

- Don

Reply to
Don Enderton

Let us know how it works. If silicone caulk does not work, then use Automotive or Household Goop. The stuff is a lot messier but seals and adheres well.

Reply to
Ray O