DIYEFI.org, FreeEMS and the future of TRUE DIY engine management

Hi, many of you will have heard of MegaSquirt, FreeEMS is a DIY EFI and Ignition project of a similar nature except with GPL licensing and TAPR licensing on code and hardware respectively.

Quite a few MegaSquirt users were dissatisfied with a number of aspects of both the MS products and the community itself so I put in a lot of effort and produced

to provide an alternative place to develop and discuss DIY engine management as the original diy- efi.org site had all but died and the MS environment and licensing was too restrictive.

The project began at the very beginning of the year and the site was publicly launched on April first. There has been a lot of progress made on it continuously since then. One of the other members is working on schematic and PCB designs for a first edition hardware design and myself and another member are working on firmware for it. Several people are working on or interested in working on open source tuning software tools to support it.

Currently we don't have any engines running, however that time is drawing nearer daily. I estimate that we will have a basic functional system up and running at least one engine by the end of the year. Once that occurs popularity is bound to take off in a big way due to the free nature of it and unrestricted hardware platform. In contrast MegaSquirt firmware is restricted to running on MegaSquirt hardware and thus free sharing of information on custom hardware solutions is not encouraged or even permitted.

Basic specs are/will be : XDP512 Freescale CPU Tech Arts 100 pin plug in CPU board Firmware/Hardware support for 6 cyilnder sequential fuel and 8 - 12 semi sequential fuel Firmware support for 12 cylinder Coil On Plug ignition

91 IO pins total 16 10 bit ADC pins 8 8 bit PWM pins OR 4 16 bit PWM pins or some combination there of 2 hardware accurate engine position inputs

Feel free to check out the site and get involved if you wish.

Cheers,

Fred.

Reply to
fred.cooke

..... MegaSquirt, FreeEMS a DIY EFI and project of a similar nature with GPL and TAPR licensing. _________________________________________

As a technical writing hopeful you are SOL. From now on, you'll take the MTA to pick up your UCB.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

FreeEMS = Free EMS EMS = Engine Management System DIY = Do It Yourself EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection GPL = GNU Public License GNU = GNU's Not Unix TAPR = can't remember, some Tampa bay amateur radio club or something. Should have read TAPR OHL OHL = Open Hardware License

SOL = S@#t Out of Luck MTA = Mail Transfer Agent??? UCB = ???

Reply to
fred.cooke

LOL. Glad to see you have a sense of humor/our,too.

Sorry for the language translation error:

SOL = S@#t Out of Luck (S@#t Out of Luck) MTA = Metropolitan Transit Authority (Public Tram) UCB = Unemployment Compensation Benefits (Redundancy Pay)

RODAN = Rutgers Ocean Data Access Network (Spot On).