Do any of you use an oxy-acet torch for exhaust work?

Sorry for the xpost...

I have some exhaust work to do on an old project Nissan and I'm wondering if > any of you use gas torches for this? If so, what do you best suggest for > the filler? I've heard that coat hanger and bailing wire material works > well but I also have some rods kicking around. Do I need to grind the tubes > much?? > > Thanks for any input you might have. > Andrew. >
Reply to
AWN

I usually use brazing rod with my oxy/actyl torch for minor exhaust work. Maybe a little expensive but it is fast and easy. For major work, I use the electric welder, mild steel rod.

Reply to
« Paul »

I usually am joining ratty parts with new so use a bronze rod on them to try and make them last for a while longer. I have welded some new parts to make 'custom' angles, but in both cases you really have to watch the fumes. If the pipes are galvanized like most exhaust pipes, the fumes are 'not' friendly.

I normally stick with clamps although I have this one joint right now in new pipes that just 'won't' stay tight I might take my wire feed 'mig' welder to.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain