E 350 Gas tank question

I have a E350 Ford Van that has a bad fuel pump. I have to drop the tank to replace the pump. And thanks to Ford you can't get to the pump without dropping the tank.And guess who just filed up with gas right before it went out. What is the best way to get the gas out of the tank other than my shotgun.

Thanks

Julie

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

Let's think about this for a minute....

The fuel tank is mounted between the frame rails to protect it in a crash The fuel pump is in the tank to be cooled by the fuel It has to have a way to be installed. If the access port was on the bottom, it would create one hell of a potential leak situation. Even if there was an access on the bottom or side, you would still have to drain the tank to remove it.

So how is this Ford's fault?

The answer to your dilemma is either:

1.Siphon out the gas into 5 gallon cans (borrow all your neighbors) or 2: Cut a hole in the floor of the van in exactly the right spot to access the pump.

BTW, a common cause of in tank pump failure is running on empty all the time. The pump isn't cooled effectively.

Reply to
bomar

Think outside the box.

Changed a FP in the wife's Camry. Supported the tank, (it was also full) undid the fasteners, and lifted the vehicle off the tank. Secured it on jackstands. Gave just enough room to get the dern thing out and a new one in, then it was simply lowering the car onto the tank and hooking things back up.

Crazy like a fox, ya hear?

Plasyd

Reply to
2lgsgd4lgsbttr

You could try siphoning the fuel out but if there is a rollover check valve in the filler hose it won't work. You can use a floor jack to ease the tank down once you've disconnected the fuel lines and unbolted the straps. It'll only weigh about 100 pounds full :-) If you can't siphon the fuel out before you reomove it, try siphoning it out once the tank is down and the pump removed.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Hey Plasyd, that is a great idea. We drop a lot of tanks in my business but we've never considered lifting the car instead! (palm of hand slapping forehead). Thanks for the inspiration. jor

Reply to
jor

Now, hold on a minute. I had to come up with that method because I had no other way to do it!!!!!

I'm shade tree, dude. Ya does what ya can wit what ya gots!

Plasyd

Reply to
2lgsgd4lgsbttr