GM Door Handle EXPERTS!?

I have owned an 89 Cutlass Supreme for over 5 years now. When I got it I was told that I would have to replace my door handles eventually because they ALWAYS break. Same with the ones that are used in coupe version of Buick Regals, Pontiac Grand Prixs and Chevy Luminas. From years 1988-1996. You know, the ones that are in the pillar, mounted vertically in the door.

So last week my drivers-side finally broke. I bought a NEW one and put it on. No problems, very simple switch over. But now I cannot get it to open the darn door! It won't "pop" open like the inside handle does. Even if I watch the internal mechanisms to make sure it is working properly I can't get it to open. I even adjusted the one small bolt that allows you to change how far down the one arm gets pushed. I made it so that it pushes ALL the down and it STILL won't work!?

Is there some type of special adjustment that has to be made with these types of door handles?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe distance of how far the arm get pushed isn't the issue and instead it is more of what ANGLE it's getting pushed down on. Maybe the angle isn't correct?

Anyone, please!!??

THANKS!:)

Reply to
deanbrnz

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote in news:1125772437.061079.319490 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

what happens if you open door, close latch (push latch jaws closed with screwdriver) and manually pull up on entry rod? does it release the jaws? if not your latch assy. thinks it is key locked i ASSume. i believe that would explain why you can exit but not enter. of course my memory of 16 yrs. ago is quite cloudy on the sunniest of days.. if i read where you have not resolved this by tues. i will open a manual at work and explore further. adjustments? if i remember correctly there is a plastic adj.collar at the latch end of the entry rod but in the dozens i replaced on beretta's i dont recall ever having to touch them...................kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven