Electrically dead!

Went out to start the ol' trusty '87 626 this morning, and when I turned the key, the starter "hit" and then immediately the electrical system went dead. (2.0L, 5-speed)

This afternoon I checked the battery voltage (12.6 v). Battery cells have electrolyte. The battery is about 16 months old. But _everything_ is dead.

Is there a master fuse or link somewhere? What to do next?

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Williams

Sounds like a bad connection between the battery and the battery cable. wiggle the cable a little and see if it jumps to life.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Wiggled, nothing happened. Removed each cable from battery posts and reconnected. No change. The posts and clamps were pretty clean.

Craig

Reply to
Williams

Yeah, good chance there's a fuse that could have blown. I'm not sure where it'd be on your particular car. I would imagine under the hood. You could consult your owners manual if available. You should probably be looking at the positive battery cable and seeing where it's connected. One wire should go to the alternator, one should go to the starter and then there are small miscellaneous ones. Check each of those to make sure none of them are burned. If you can see both ends, disconnect one end and probe across it to see if it's an open circuit.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Reply to
Shep

I was going to suggest same thing. Look at the other ends of the cables. Better yet, check from pos post to frame with meter. That will tell you if the neg wire has a connection to the block. Next, I would trace from the fuse box back with the meter until you find the problem. I know in the old days, some of the Japanese cars had fusable links in the pos cable.

_everything_

Reply to
bob

Problem fixed! What did I do? I dunno... The interior cabin light is not working now, so that threw me off. There was voltage between POS and vehicle ground. There was voltage to the Main Fuse (80 amp). There was continuity across the fuse.

I was looking for the interior fuse box, and noticed that the under dash light was on (kind of hard to tell in the daylight).

So I put the key in and cranked it up.

Go figure! Anyway, thanks for the tips!

Craig

Reply to
Williams

Go over those battery connections. Clean and tighten them good.

Reply to
ed