'94 Toyota camry - won't start

Hi,

This morning my camry just refused to start. Just when I sat in the car and tried starting it, for a split second it made the usual sound as if it were going to start, but then it instantly went off. I couldn't hear any clicking sound from the starter either thereafter. All the other electricals are off too. I got the battery checked just last week and the mechanic said though the battery was running low, he expected it to run all right for some time.

Does it sound like the fuse went off? Is there some master fuse in a Camry? Where should I check the fuses - lower left of the dash or under the hood? Or do you people think it might simply be that the battery is absolutely dead?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Jeejay

Reply to
jeejay

Unlikely. Is there some master fuse in a

Could be a dead battery but it could also just be a bad cable or battery post connection, although I would have expected the mechanic to catch that. You may even have a current drain running it down.

Start with the simple stuff. To check the battery post connections turn on the head light switch. Dig a screwdriver in between the post and the clamp. If the lights come on you found the problem. Otherwise wiggle the heavy cables going to the starter and to ground and see if the lights come on. You say that nothing else works like the interior lights or radio, right?

Reply to
tomcas

Dead battery is likely it, bad cables wont help, never keep a battery testing weak, charge it and go back to the mechanic.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like the battery went bad to me.

Reply to
badgolferman

Check the battery terminals, if loose tighten. If that doesn't help, just get a new battery -

Reply to
justinm930

Is the headlight switch off or on? The headlights are supposed to shut off when the ignition is off and the drivers door is opened. If the headlights are in the "on" position and the drivers door switch sticks (off) the headlights will run the battery down. If your dome light stays off when the drivers door is opened then you know this may be your problem. I know this from experience.

Reply to
Clay