Weird, probably electrical problem, 97 Ranger 2.3

This morning the strangest thing happened. I went out and tried to start my

97 SuperCab 4x2 2.3 5 speed, w/ 108k miles. I drive it every day, and it's always been flawless for me in the year or so I've owned it.

When I turned the key, the starter engaged, started spinning the flywheel, then it acted like it hit a spot of broken teeth. I was highly surprised! I immediately turned the key off and retried. It again engaged fine, turned the flywheel for a second, and then again disengaged from the flywheel. I tried it again and it finally started the truck. I'm confident that the flywheel is fine since every time I retried, the starter engaged the flywheel fine. If there were missing teeth, the starter would have just spun, right? So, you say, I have a bad starter since the flywheel teeth are fine. Ordinarily, I'd agree with you but listen to what happened next...

This truck has always started instantly and idled smoothly. But this time, when it started, it was running on only 3 cylinders. I got out and looked under the hood, but there was nothing obviously unusual. I got back in and revved the engine, but still that dead miss was there. I decided to try to drive it up the street to see what happened. Within 2 blocks, it was back to normal, and it's been fine ever since. But that's not all...

Then I reached down to turn on the radio and I realized that the station presets were erased and the clock was wrong. WEIRD!

So, I'm thinking that I must have had some electrical hiccups. When the starter was partially disengaging, I think it was due to a momentary power drop. The battery/wiring was able to supply sufficient amperage to the starter for a second or so, but something was then breaking down, reducing the voltage. As this was happening, there was no obvious signs of low voltage otherwise though...

I'm guessing that's how the memory in the radio was erased also. The only thing I don't understand was the miss. It seems to me it would have to be an injector not firing, since there are 2 spark plugs per cylinder. The miss was so bad that the cylinder was obviously not firing at all on either plug.

Ever since that first problem at 7:00 this morning, I've driven 20 or 30 miles, started the truck at least 4 other times, and I've had no more problems.

Now:

  1. Do you think my diagnosis is right? Is it a battery or wiring problem?

  1. The battery in the truck is less than a year old, but it's an Advance Auto store brand battery. Do you have any guesses about what the source of the problem is? Battery? Bad ground? Maybe even the starter is the problem, and drawing a huge load momentarily?

Thanks for all your help, guesses, and ideas!

CJB

Reply to
CJB

On Thu, 11 May 2006 17:38:57 +0000, CJB rearranged some electrons to form:

The fact that the radio presets were gone means that the battery voltage dropped below the minimum to keep them saved.

Loose battery cable?

Reply to
David M

Guesses are not helpful. Start by load checking the battery. Perhaps the battery stayed up all day because you were driving it all day. A battery can cause an intermittent failure although it is somewhat rare. The starter can do the same and that probably has the full 108K on it. You don't have to be missing teeth on the flywheel. You can just have bad burrs on the existing teeth. It doesn't sound like you went that far and don't. If I had any misengagement I would get that starter out of there and inspect every tooth before replacing it with another.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Yeah, I agree, a battery load test is the place to start. At least I could eliminate it.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

And if the radio lost its memory, the pcm memory was probably also erased, that explains the bad idle.

Check the cables, not just a visual check but take them off and clean them

With a bad battery you probably couldn't restart it, empty is empty

Off course it doesn't hurt to do a load test

Reply to
JohanB