engine air intake resonator?

I have a '99 Cavalier with left front corner damage, including a broken air intake resonator (down inside the fender). Does anyone know what this does? I'm guessing it's just for noise suppression, and I could just wrap some duct tape (ha!) over the opening in the duct.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

If it's before the air cleaner, use a piece of crazy carpet (or sheet plastic) and duct tape to prevent picking up a ton of road debris into your air cleaner. If it's after, you can do that, but I'd probably make sure it's airtight or you're going to suck all sorts of crap into the engine.

Oh, if it's after the MAF (mass airflow sensor) (not sure if a 99 Cav has one) it needs to be airtight or your car will run lean due to the extra air - the computer measures the airflow at the MAF.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

That is basically what it does... Quieten the air noise. Tape is a temporary solution and not a good one. Once the tape comes loose you are more likely to pick up water from rain splash.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Even better than duct tape is aluminum foil tape, provided it's the type with glue having a high temperature rating, around 240 degs. F. instead of the usual 150F or so.

When I had a duct break last year, I roughened the outside with #60 sandpaper and repaired the hole with fiberglass drywall tape and sneared silicone rubber sealant (the oxygen-sensor type with no vinegar smell) into it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Taking a completely different tack, I decided to try 'welding' the broken pieces together, using a soldering iron, and scrapings of plastic (HDPE) as filler. The joint holds under moderate stress. Tape will be plan B.

George

Reply to
George

There are special types of epoxies which will adhere to and repair many types of hard plastics (whereas traditional fiberglass/epoxy treatments may fail totally).

To do it properly, one would need to get the part out so that it can be properly cleaned, supported, and patched.

Reply to
HLS