Engine Compression

I have no compression in the # 3 cylinder how do I know or find out if the piston rings are bad or it's a bad valve?.

Steve snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
mnslim

Try a leak down test.

Reply to
Stan Weiss

You put a tablespoon of oil in the plug hole and try again. If it comes up, suspect rings.

Mike

Mike Romain

If it *doesn't* come up that doesn't necessarily mean valves however. there's a third possibility which is that there is a leak in either the head gasket or the head or block. Hooking up shop air to the plug hole with the engine rotated so the valves are closed will tell you a lot.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

NO compression? That's unlikely to be rings. More likely a burned valve, dropped valve, holed piston, blown head gasket, etc.

Reply to
Steve

You could perform a wet/dry compression test cept you have NO compression, indicating that you have a bigger issue - 1st Drain the oil, and inspect to see it there is aluminum or pieces of metal.

You hadn't mentioned what year/make/model/engine size...you might try removing a valve cover or you could drop the oil pan - some vehicles have magnets attached to the bottom of their oil pan...

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

What precipitated this test? What work was done? How was the car running before?

I ask because we once set the valve lash way off on my race car and had zero compression...

Like Mike said, some oil in there will help seal the rings... but if you have ZERO compression, you probably have a valve stuck open or some other serious damage...

What kind of engine? Ray

Reply to
Ray