engine cooling fans

On 1995 Buick Regal with 3.8 liter V-6 engine and two electric fans behind the radiator, should both fans run at the same time when engine is hot? What is the normal cycle of fan start-ups as the engine heats up? Thanks! tp94

Reply to
Watson, t.

I think on that car there is a main fan and then a secondary fan, the main one comes on at a lower temperature.

The second fan may not come on at all unless the AC is switched on, then they could both be running at the same time.

Next time it gets hot, turn off the AC and see if the fans are running. If one is already running switch on the AC and see if the second one comes on.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Thanks very much for the answers! The second fan still does not run but maybe the temp was too low today. It was only 62 degrees outside today when I tried turning on the AC and the second fan did not start. Everything else is fine so maybe I do not really have a problem. tp94

Reply to
Watson, t.