Engine Transplant Recommendation

Conversions, especially ones where there isn't prior development work already done for you, can be very costly and problematic. I don't know what the weight of the original engine is, but you would want to make sure that any replacement isn't significantly heavier or the handling and braking can be severely compromised.

If you really must do this, by all means I would stay away from the

2.9/3.1/3.4l family of engines. I don't know if they were ever made for rear wheel drive or not, so it might be a moot point. Packaging efficiency is very good, but problems like leaking intake manifold gaskets and other make for a less than ultra-long-life design.

The 3800 from a later model Camaro or Firebird donor would be the first thing I would look at if I just had to make the conversion. Other possibilities might be the V-6 Mustang motor and transmission from 1990s vintage stangs. Lots of fabrication and making do would be involved in such a swap.

Lots of folks have done GM swaps into Volvos, Jaguars and Jeeps, but I haven't seen much written about doing so into an MB product.

Personally I would tear down the original MB motor and make it right. The cost and headache will probably be lower in the end than using low cost GM parts as the basis for a swap.

John

Reply to
John Horner

You are probably right. After crawling under the car and getting a good look at the cross member and steering linkage, I lost optimism that this could work.

Thanks to every one for their the input.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

V-6 Firebirds had the 3800 in them all through the 90's. It was a front-wheel-drive block configuration (that's all GM produced), and they had a 4-speed automatic and a 5-speed tranny that were configured to fit it as a rear driver.

Reply to
Joe

GM made both FWD and RWD 3800 blocks, just like they did with the 2800. LOT's of variations out there of both. I can think of 5 variants of the

3800 block in just RWD alone, not including the earlier 225 it was based on.
Reply to
Steve W.

No, they didn't in the 90's. Not at all. But I think the OP has already lost interest. I had assumed he'd want something fairly late-model, since he used the term "3800".

Reply to
Joe