exhaust system jerry-rigging legality

Hey,

Is it legal to apply one's own unorthodox methods in order to repair a car's exhaust system? This guy I know has a problem wth his exhaust, but he just wants to use his own clamps/wires to fix it. If he then takes the car in to get his brakes fixed, are the repair people obligated by law to file a report about the owner's own jerry-rigged exhaust? This is in Illinois.

Thanks!

Reply to
Peeps O'Donnell

They're not obligated to report it and it's not illegal as long as it doesn't leak and he doesn't interfere with the emissions equipment(converter and O2 sensors).

Reply to
Jim

I think he's OK and certainly better without leaks. I'd be in trouble with no converter at all on the car though. In the future I will never bypass a converter and this vehicle may get one back on too. If the brake people also do exhaust work it's possible someone could hassle you, but just move on if that occurs. Years ago I had documented proof of a dealer removing emissions equipment and the used car dept. rolling odometers on dozens of vehicles. The feds pretended to be real interested, but never followed up on it. The dealer was in Chicago.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

If it doesn't leak it isn't anyone's business at all. Even if it does leak the shop isn't working on it, they are just trying to rip the guy off by scaring him into a fix.

Mike

Peeps O'D>

Reply to
Mike Romain

you can report anything you want, it might become an issue if a law is broken. Same thing that you can sue whenever or whoever or whatever reason you want, its just you might not win. for all quotes there is an equally opposite quote

Reply to
Askari