X Type Nav System

I have a 2006 X type with Navigation system. on a sunny day the driver can not see the screen due to the reflection from the passenger seat. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to correct it? At night or on cloudy days it is OK.

Reply to
Dario Ramazzotti

Are aware that you can manually increase/decrease the screen brightness to compensate for day/night preferences?

Reply to
coinman1

I have not experienced that. Is your interior seat covering light, mine is charcoal grey? You can change the screen brightness via the menu button on the right and then the brightness menu.

Reply to
MudMuppet

Paste a picture of Alfred E Newman over the screen to remind yourself that these devices are for morons.

Reply to
JimInsolo

So how does it work for *you*?

Moron.

-- C.R. Krieger (In one of THOSE moods today)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Las Vegas police reported a number of incidents during last weekends Nextel cup race where guys with navigation systems ended up lost out behind Nellis air base despite the fact that the Las Vegas Motorspeedway has its own exit off I-15. Those systems are woefully behind in cities like Vegas with explosive growth and are a hazard to people like the computer guy who followed one down a closed road in Oregon and ended up freezing to death. They are nothing but a sales gimmick aimed at the lemmings hanging around starbucks and are actually dangerous if you've ever seen some guy weaving down the road while trying to read the thing or suddenly turning left from the right lane as it beeps out instructions. Simple fact is that if you don't know where you are going and how to get there before you get in your car- stay home.

Reply to
JimInsolo

HI Dario,

I have a late production 06 X-type VDP with white interior. Sometimes if no one is in the passenger seat I get this type of reflection as well. Besides adjusting the screen, try moving the angle of the seat back and/or seat inself may help with interior glare if you have new vehilce with white interior. Some leather conditioners also leave a "sheen" that can cause this problem.

One problem tha I have is rock-hard seats especially the bolsters. Jaguar changed the seat cushiions in 05 and the combination of the contrasting piping on 2005/2006 X-type VDP mades the seat even more uncomfortable.

We have an loaded 03 X-type with 60K on it and it is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.

If anyone else has experianced this problem in 05 and 06 X-types can you please share this along with anything that can be done.

Thanks much,

SJK

Reply to
sauljkatz

Yeah; right. Of course, the odds of any of them there NASCAR Yokels© driving a Jaguar X-Type are pretty slim, so you're still missing your 'target audience', don'tcha' think?

I'd be interested in reading your cite on that one. Now, there *was* the BMW exec who drove a car into a lake because 'zere vas not supposed to be a lake zere', but the average person with a lick of sense understands the limitations of the software.

Hmm. Lemmings at Starbucks, huh? Maybe I'll go down to the new one they just built here and see what them little mass suicidal buggers look like, seein' as how I've never seen either lemmings or the inside of a Starbucks.

Maybe the cheap ones. The OEM Jaguar unit tells you up to a half mile in advance of all turns, adds an advance warning if there's one quickly following the next, and tells you how far you need to follow any individual road - up to hundreds of miles. But don't let the factual details distract you from your mindless and pointless diatribe against technology. This drivel of yours might apply to the Garmin I carry in my pocket, but I need the PDA anyway, so I might as well have handheld nav, too.

Aw, gee; and I already violated that rule of yours!

I bought a used X-Type that had the nav system in it 3-4 years ago on ebay (I'm betting you have a few choice insults for someone who'd do that, too.) and I picked it up in Houston. Without a clue except the general direction of College Station, I used the intuitive interface (I'd never used a nav system of any kind before.) and about 10 minutes to program in a friend's address and the system took me to within two blocks of it and highlighted the location with a bullseye - on roads I'd never laid eyes on before. I didn't even *have* a paper map, much less look at one. When I left, I visited with another friend outside Dallas (nav-led) and his brother-in-law (ditto) and then set it to take me home to Wisconsin. I spent an entire day in Missouri ignoring the nicely insistent lady in the dashboard (I didn't find out how to turn her off until later; about the same time I found out she could speak Italian or Swedish, too.) driving generally north and east on secondary roads, knowing she'd lead me back to I-44 any time I wished to go there. Finally crossing the Mississippi back into Illinois, I heeded her instructions that led me to I-39 and roads I knew how to follow home. I still didn't have a paper map.

This skips over the load of fun I had outrunning a local 'hotshoe' on a twisty river bottom secondary road in Oklahoma the night before - because with a quick look, I could see none of the corners would be too acute for me to overrun at my 'brisk' pace.

So, feel free to be a technophobe if you want. GPS location and navigation is a wonderful and useful technology that's going to be making a big dent in the paper map industry in a few years. If you think I'm wrong, see how long it takes you to locate a pay phone these days ... compared to when not every third person carried a cellphone.

-- C.R. Krieger (Who always knows where he is - with a tolerance of 10 feet.)

Reply to
Double Tap

I bought my first Jag in 1963 and once owned a specialty Jaguar shop- In those days it was a unique vehicle known for performance, style and lousy reliability. Only a certain type of person would buy one. Today its just another stamped clone which appeals to the gimmick addicts. As far as Nascar yokels are concerned, they have somehow built the most successful sports franchise in history and the F-1 guys consult them regularly on technical matters.

[...]

Queens- how appropriate- Us old time Nascar fans are getting pretty fed up with the trendy Johnnny come latelies who are now on the Nascar bandwagon- They show up in their Lexus or Camry or whatever and talk about Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson and know all their stats etc. But if you mention Coo Coo Marlin or Tom Pistone they just stand there with a blank stare and latte dripping down their chins. The more of these guys who follow their navigation systems to a dead end the better. I've been going to stock races for 40 years all over this country and never needed anything more than common sense to find any of them. PS to the original guy who was in a panic because of the reflection on his screen- what do you do when light shines through your window onto your tv screen- call a repairman?

Reply to
yokel1

Yep. A rich glutton for punishment.

Gee; what marque isn't? There's a reason I drive a 20-year-old BMW (and *don't want* a new one). And I always wanted to own a Jaguar (and *don't want* an old one). At least Jaguar still has some stylists on staff, while BMW is stuck with Chris Bangle. I would have settled for a base 2.5 manual X-Type, but I got a steal on the one we have - a Phoenix Red 3.0 Sport 5-speed - with everything except a cold weather package (not much call for 'em in Texas, I hear). So the nav system was essentially free. I'd have bought the car without it. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate it. It's seriously cool. But that doesn't mean I'm insisting on it in any future cars, either.

Seems to me I wasn't the one making fun of them first - and I definitely wasn't referring to any of the teams. I've worked in racing. Still do, as an SCCA scrutineer. I appreciate the technical aspects of NASCAR and I cross my fingers for the franchise since I own stock in companies that own most of the tracks in the coutry. But you won't find me hangin' with their current fans anytime soon.

-- C.R. Krieger (A little bit NASCAR; a little bit twisty road)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Yokel is quite appropriate in your case. I was at the world 600 in Charlotte May 24 1964 when Fireball Roberts had is accident that took his life about a month later. I had the great pleasure meeting Rodger Penske and Mark Donohue in person in 1968 at Bridgehampton when they let me sit in the SONOCO Special #6 that won the race and was doing 200MPH on the straight away. The point being I know my way around a race track, and the city I live in. I also believe in useing the best technology available to me if it will save me time effort and energy. Now if someone would come up with software that could detect newsgroup shmucks before I read the post, I would buy it immediately.

Reply to
Double Tap

Wrong, I'm a huge Nascar fan and I drive an x-type and a Mustang gt

[...]

Jim C

someone would come up with software that could detect newsgroup shmucks

Reply to
Alan Strickland

$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

schmucks before they post just look in the mirror- and its FREE!!

Reply to
jiminsolo

My, my, do we detect a bit of hostility, paranoia, and self identification in your response to jiminsolo ? Double Tap

Reply to
Double Tap