Re: How do I program the remote keyless entry on a 99 Beetle?

"Nomad9" wrote in news:VUVOb.1018$ snipped-for-privacy@news.itd.umich.edu:

A friend of mine has lost her keyless remote and I bought a used > replacement off the internet. Does any one know how to program the > replacement to work with her car? > > I didn't know until after I ordered the remote that her original was a > switch blade style that was integrated with the key. Can the key in > the remote be swapped out with a blank? > > Thanks! > > >

Radio Frequency Remote Control, Programming Ignition Keys (Adaptation)

NOTE: If a new or additional ignition keys are required, they must be adapted (matched) to the control electronics. The adaptation procedure must always be carried out for all the ignition keys, including the existing ones. The number of keys already programmed will be displayed when "Adaptation" (matching) function 10 is selected. The matching can be interrupted with the -C- button of the VAG 1551.

VAG 1551 = Scan tool

*required = must have, can't do this without it*

Requirements: All ignition keys available.

If no old ignition keys is available contact authorized VW Dealer for "Lost key procedure".

Key fob with covered secret number is available, if not contact authorized VW Dealer for "Establishing secret number".

Insert mechanically programmed ignition key in ignition lock. Connect VAG 1551 scan tool. Initiate On Board Diagnostic (OBD).

Reply to
Death