Filter for power steering?

I have a new car and would like to put a filter in the return line on the power steering, to promote longevity of the system components. (The system uses a long hydraulic ram, located under the car.)

At same time, I may want to put in a cooler for the fluid - depending upon whatever advice I get from the members here.

I recognize that the cooler, filter, and the longer hoses could cause flow restriction. I don't know how much the system can stand before it begins to malfunction. But I was thinking that restrictions could be minimized, if necessary, by using oversize hose (maybe 1/2" id) for the run from the ps ram to the cooler, and then two parallel 3/8" runs from the filter back to the reservoir, with only one of the two having a filter inline. The result would be that only a fraction of the flow would pass thru the filter - but that would be enuf.

So, how much am I overengineering here? Is it a total "government job," because the filter is not needed at all. Or is filter and cooler a good idea, and restriction is not of concern?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

With any luck at all, fiveiron will be along presently with his recommendations.

Reply to
cavedweller

My original 1986 power steering system still works just fine. I have owned it for over 10 years and I highly doubt the fluid has ever been changed... Same for my 88's....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

=3D=3D=3D=3D In my opinion - 100%.

power steering failures that I have witnessed are not caused by any of the things you have mentioned.

Usually, failures result from mechanical abuse, operator error(apathy), initial faulty components,

or components that fatigue-out, none related to fluid degradation.

since you appear to be "wrench happy" - you might drain and refill the system on an extended periodic basis.:--)

Reply to
fiveiron

Just make sure the system stays well sealed and the boots remain intact. Then change the fluid every year. Any breakdown won't be your fault.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Have no idea what the phrase "government job" is supposed to mean.

But I think that adding a filter and a radiator to the ps system is complete overkill and the filter could reduce the power in your power steering. The simple effective route to long lived steering components is to flush the fluid completely once every 50,000 miles or less if you are in a really dusty dirty environment.

Reply to
John S.

A power steering fluid cooler isn't unheard of on some vehicles, but I never heard of one with a filter. I believe you will just be adding more things that could leak or malfunction. Just change the fluid periodically.

Reply to
Kevin

for those that have led a sheltered life, the phrase - "government job" is commonly referred to as a - freebie.

Reply to
fiveiron

Your explanation makes no sense whatsoever. What is the tie-in of adding a filter to a power steering system to jobs with federal, state or local government. Are you saying that government jobs are done for free...i.e. no pay? If so does that apply to contractors as well?

Reply to
John S.

John, I hate to say it, but he's sort of right.

Example...you take a little home project in to work and get someone "in the shop" to help you with it, or do it for you, that's usually referred to as a "government job".

Doesn't alter the fact that most times it's hard to figure out exactly what he's saying.

Reply to
cavedweller

It's a new one on me, but I'll believe it. The link between having someone "in the shop" help you on a repair and employment with the government must be lost to history. Interesting how phrases like that just work their way into common usage. Maybe it originated out of the many WPA-like programs that kept things going in the 30's?

Reply to
John S.

I'm thinking the phrase here means way overengineered and way too expensive and complicated for what real life is.

Power steering coolers in HD applications are fairly common (Taxis, police cars), but I have yet to see a filter. I've owned a lot of cars around 15-20 years old and other than leaking hoses I've had pretty much zero power steering problems, so I'd have to say that a filter is probably complete overkill.

Maybe a mechanic can tell me how many power steering pumps they replace on a regular basis...

Ray

Reply to
ray

Around here a 'government job' means a totally useless or 'make work' job. The standing joke is the government can't lay off 'workers' because they would all turn into welfare bums because 'no one' will hire an ex government employee.... They have no work experience....

Mike

Mike Romain

Jim, what point are you trying to put across by using the term "government job"?

Reply to
fiveiron

Kevin, some cars DO have a p/s filter, OEM factory. My '89 Eagle Premier has one, so it not a "common" factory thing, but some cars do have them. Generally, if it doesn't have a factory filter, don't bother trying to put one in. All the extra "plumbing" is bound to give problems somewhere down the road.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D after rereading your post, and particularly the above statement, I surmise that what you are implying, as a figure of speech, is the project unnecessary,

however the term *government job* has in the past been referred to, among cronies, as being done as an accommodation, with out cost.

Reply to
fiveiron

Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. many sections of the federal government have gone though several rounds of firings (rightsizings, downsizings, RIF's, realignments, early out, outsourcings, etc). And most of the people I've known who worked for the government who were forced out were re-employed.

Reply to
John S.

If my definition of *government job* makes no sense to you, it is because your level of comprehension is below par, but does match your blatant comment. Get a life.

Reply to
fiveiron

I'm sure you will find someone that will understand what you are writing. Best of luck in the search.

Reply to
John S.

Hee Hee....see what I mean?

Reply to