Firing order

This always bugged me. Why is firing order always non-consecutive?

On 1/4/2018 7:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Because, in the case of classic 1342:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1h9eU9YH5o

Which extrapolates easily to my 18436572 small block
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
AMuzi wrote:

That doesn't explain why it isn't 1234.
"Tom Del Rosso" wrote

The reason they don't just fire "one end to the other end" is balance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance
The reason the firing order isn't "consecutive" is due to the conventional way(s) of numbering cylinders. Straight 4 cyl = 1234 Straight 6 cyl = 123456 Some V8 = Left 1357 Right 2468 Other V8 = Left 5678 Right 1234
Feel free to build you own engine, and make it fire "consecutively" using normal numbering (have fun as your engine shakes the car to pieces), or get a felt pen and number your cylinders any way you like. :-)
On 1/4/2018 10:20 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

In theory you could make a cam and crank to do that but in practice the crank would be huge to restore any workable harmonic balance.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
AMuzi wrote:

I don't see why, but thank you to all. I have to read up and think about this.
On 5/01/2018 3:20 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

It does, if you care to look. Some thinking is required.
--

Xeno

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

http://what-when-how.com/automobile/firing-order-of-cylinders-automobile/
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 7:33:08 PM UTC-6, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

That helps balance the engine. Otherwise the engine would act crazy, might not be firing right too.
On 5/01/2018 12:33 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Relies on the crankshaft: flatplane or crossplane And control of engine balance.
--

Xeno

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

It's simple. it's not possible to balance the crankshaft in most engines to do that and still have an engine that fit's into a vehicle. Take a simple 4 cylinder. The crank throws have to be 90 degrees off from each other to maintain balance. Then you need to balance out the rocking coupled frequency from the firing order. If you don't the vibration will quickly destroy the engine.
On a V engine you have 2 cylinders on each crank throw. So you have cylinders 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 each sharing a throw. Number one is at TDC but number two is already past TDC and heading down the bore by the time number one fires. Impossible to have them fire in sequence.
There are some engines out there that have a sequential firing order, but the crankshafts have split journals and generally they are not capable of much power output because of the crank design.
--
Steve W.

On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:10:45 PM UTC-6, Steve W. wrote:

One cylinder up to 16, 24 or more, engines fire on only one cylinder at a time. Most of them anyway. Batteries do not have electricity in them either