Flashing alternator light

The alt. light in my 1989 Cadillac began flashing off and on (not consistently) a couple days ago. I had the alternator and battery tested (even though both are less than a year old) and everything was ok. What else should I check?

Reply to
Chylli

Could be some kind of wiring problem, but I'd have some doubt in the test of the alternator - generally with GM vehicles, the charging system warning light is a signal from the alternator itself that says "I'm broken"..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
George

I had an 89 Honda do the same. The 14V sometimes, 0v the next. Turns out to be worn slip ring. This alternater I talking about has clocked 250K mi on it. I resurfaced the slip ring and changed brushes but it's not giving me

14V. It's time for me to get a new one.

If you suspect a belt slip, use belt anti slip formula. This is easier done than said. Ind

Reply to
Indian Summer

About a year ago, the serpentine belt shredded and I put a new one on. A few months after that, the alternator went bad, so I put a brand new one in. The battery is about 4 years old (I was incorrect when I said it was less than a year old), but I had it checked too and they said it was fine. Could low water in a battery cell be causing the light to flash?

Reply to
Chylli

I have a feeling it isn't idling like it should - back during the summer, if I had the a/c on and was going slow through a parking lot or such, the car would begin to stall. I'd turn the a/c off and it wouldn't do that. When it was acting this way, the "stop engine/ oil" light would flicker, but never the alternator light. The alt light doesn't come on every time I'm in the car either.

Reply to
Chylli

I'll try the anti-slip formula and see what that does. The belt seems pretty tight though.

Reply to
Chylli

At 4 years old, it's on borrowed time. Skip the belt dressing. If the belt is slipping, you need a new belt and/or tensioner.

Reply to
saeengineer