Ford Mondeo Canging Back Pads

Can anyone tell me if i need to something special to fit the back pads to my Mondeo. I have removed the caliper and fitted the pads but i cant get the caliper and piston back in position. I cant get the piston back at all. Ive opened up the fluid resivoir and even opened up the drain nipple but i still cant push the brake piston back?

Reply to
Anthony16121968

Typically this is because the rear calipers also function as the parking brake, and you need to screw/rotate the calipers back in with a special tool.

Reply to
Mark Olson

[bad form following up own post] 2000 Contour Mystique Table of Contents Group 2: Chassis Section 206-04: REAR DISC BRAKE REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Brake Pads

Special Service Tool(s)

Rear Caliper Piston Adjuster

206-026 (T87P-2588-A)

Removal

  1. Loosen the wheel nuts.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  3. Remove the wheel.
  4. Detach the parking brake cable.
1 Pull back the parking brake lever. 2 Disconnect the cable from the parking brake lever. 3 Detach the cable clips. 4 Detach the cable.
  1. Detach brake caliper.
1 Remove the clip. 2 Remove the pin. 3 Pivot the brake caliper upwards.
  1. Remove the brake pads.

Installation

  1. CAUTION: If the pistons are retracted into the housing, brake fluid will be displaced from the master cylinder.

Fully retract the caliper piston.

1 Fully retract the piston. 2 Make sure the piston locating mark is in the correct position so that the locator pin on the brake pad backplate locates correctly into the piston.
  1. Install the brake pads.
  2. Pivot the caliper into the caliper anchor bracket and secure.
1 Pivot the caliper downwards. 2 Install the pin. 3 Install the clip.
  1. Install the parking brake cable.
1 Position the cable. 2 Secure the cable. 3 Pull back the parking brake lever. 4 Connect the cable to the parking brake lever.
  1. Install the wheel.
Reply to
Mark Olson

Thanks for your help mate.....I thought thats what i might have to do as i noticed what looked like a 7 mm key fitting. I did screw the piston by using a screw driver and did about 15 turns but did not seem to do anything.

im having another look today.....once again, thanks

Reply to
Anthony16121968 via CarKB.com

after much swearing and cursing i have managed to change my rear pads!!,,,as the rear pads act as the handbrake you have to screw the pistons back into the caliper,,,when you have the pads removed and the caliper in your hand,,get a large screwdriver or a crow bar,,you need something substantialy heavy enough to turn the piston!!place flat end of your chosen tool into the groove of the piston and turn and push at the same time!!near side turns clockwise and off side turns anti clockwise...the v shaped groove on the piston top has to line up with the dot on the rear of the pad,,then the caliper will slip back into position very easily!!after about 4 hours of swearing at the first side,,a call to a ford dealer told me how to to this job,,the other side took 5 minutes,,its that easy!!

Reply to
mondeomark