Ford Ranger / Mazda B-Series 1999 Ignition Switch Accessory Terminal

Ok, dumb question for the rest of you who know what you're doing:

Just bought myself a CB radio, something I've been wanting for a long time. I've got a 1999 Mazda B-2500 (Ford Ranger), and the manual for the CB says to connect it to the ignition switch accessory terminal.

Where is that? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but the most technical I get with the truck is ... well, not this technical.

Any help appreciated. Pictures of the new set-up to follow once I can get it in. The new CB is a Uniden Bearcat PC78 Elite. Nice one.

Reply to
owner

If you turn the ignition towards you from the "OFF" Position, you can operate things like the radio; I think windshield wipers; cigarette lighter. That is the ACCessory Position. I've not looked under my '99 Ranger to see, but you should be able to find the wiring stuff for it.

(Sorry if you knew that.)

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Hehehe, yeah I know what the accessory position is, I'm just wondering where I can attach wires to it. The wiring for the CB is a plug at one end and two stripped wires at the other, which means I won't be able to just "plug-n-play" this thing.

The next hurdle is where to PUT the dang thing! Beatrice (the truck) has a five speed manual, which means putting it on the dash under the radio & A/C controls is out.

Reply to
owner

Try the fuse box.

Personally, I just get a cigarette lighter adapter and plug them in there. It's fine if you're running a low-power (4 watt) AM rig (unless you actually want to use the lighter for...gasp...lighting cigarettes!). Higher power sideband or 10-meter radios I wire right to the battery with 10 guage wire (with in-line fuses on both the pos and neg lines).

Reply to
Arthur Dent

Hit your local TA, Pilot, Flying hook, what have you truck stop and for about $5 you can buy a power plug for the radio that will plug into the cigeratte lighter. And dont go putting twin antennas on the thing, it isnt wide enough, they need at least 8 ft between them or they fight one another.. My antenna of choice is the good ole 102" stainless steel whip mounted on the left rear cornor. Radio Shack $19.99. But skip radio shack for the coax, their cables are lousy, the ends corrode terrible, and the "cable" quality is really poor. Nothing kills your ablity to talk or hear like poor quality cable. Cable should be 18' , dont coil the excess in a tight coil, loop it like a skein of yarn 14"-16" and wire tie it in the center. Tight coils act like a "choke" mess up reception, and make it very hard to get a good match. Mounted right you should have a near perfect match with the 18' cable and 102" antenna. Make sure the radio has a good ground from the radio chassis/housing to the vehicle. Next choice after Stainless steel whips is a 48" Francis. Wilsons are good too, but not any better than ether for the first two, and way more expensive. Firestick used to be a good buy, but thats was 15 years ago, the new ones are the pits. Hustler center loads used to be top shelf, way back when CB was king, the 19" Hustler ceramic center load was one of the best.

good page with lots of info even if the antennasare lousy
One upside is Wilson is made in the USA. As to your radio choice, its not a bad radio, but I hope you paid less than $90 for it. The Uniden Cobra 29LTD is only $59 after rebate right now at Pilot travel centers. The "soundtracker" radios from Uniden are paper weights. I will say the older Cobra 29 LTD Classics are better than the new ones ie made in Japan vrs made in China.

Microphones, get a good noise cancelling mike, ether a Turner Road King RK56, or an Astatic 636L. Forget power mikes, and for god's sake dont go getting a roger ping, bloody echo, or any of the "video game" noise makers. Be very careful of radio shops offering "peak and tune" there are a lot of hacks out there today.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Sorry for the unintended insult. I can't help yet with connection.

Mounting - under the seat, maybe? Buckets? Between the seats?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Years ago, I had a CB (citizens band) radio, when they were popular. Most of us mounted it under the dash (might be hard with todays cars) and simply hard-wired it to the battery, or on any convenient hot wire on the engine side of the firewall. You just had to remember to turn it off when you parked or you could run the battery down. With the computer chips and sensors in cars today, I still think that might be the best way to go. Easy to undo, too, if you decide to bail.

Reply to
wolfpuppy